3

Alessia looked at me with a teasing grin.

'Its not funny!' I groaned.

'This is a good thing. The closer you two feel, the more successful the marriage will be!'

Alessia folded her hands in her lap and cocked her head. I rolled my eyes and looked through one of the large windows in my chambers.

'I have an idea. Lets go to the palace's library. You love to read, don't you?'

I nodded without looking at her. I heard her digging through my wardrobe before she hummed.

'You can wear this. It would seem a little ridiculous to wear that fancy gown to the library'

She placed the dress on my bed. I sighed and turned to see what she had chose. After procrastinating, I decided to undress and put on the outfit she had chosen. I let my hair down and we left.

I could tell that Alessia wanted to talk about the engagement but I didn't even want to think about it.

When we made it to the library, I walked back and forth down the aisle looking for a good book. When I finally found one, I sat on a bench and started to read it. I was completely unaware that Alessia had left and Laurei had entered. I ignored my younger sister when she plopped down beside me and rested her head on my shoulder. After she had enough, she grabbed the book out of my hand and threw it across the room.

'What the heck is wrong with you?' I hissed.

'Now that I have your attention, we can talk'

I did nothing but glare at her. This has been going on for far too long. With her at my throat. I never understood why she disliked me so much but I probably would never know.

'I'm not here to torture you or anything, but I want answers'

'What answers?' I spat.

'The marriage'

I sarcastically laughed and stood up to leave. I jumped back when the doors suddenly slammed shut. I spun around to see Laurei pointing her hand towards the doors with an eerie pink glow emitting from them. The glow eventually died down, leaving her hands back to their fair color again.

'I'm not joking. I want to know more and you know Mother and Father won't speak to me about it'

'There is nothing to know. It's a simple marriage between a princess and a prince'

Laurei frowned.

'So you're saying that one day, Father woke up and decided to give you away to a kingdom that we never hear from anymore?'

I stood in place. I didn't know the reason either. But Laurei had a point.

'I honestly don't know. You'll have to speak with Mother and Father'

I tried to force the doors open but they were stuck tight.

'I'm not going to speak with them. You are'

'Excuse me?'

'You're the one getting married. You inherit all the goods and the throne. What do I look like asking about your engagement?'

I exhaled and agreed. Placing the book onto the table in front of me, I stood and walked up to the door.

'First, you have to open them' I muttered.

With a wave of Laurei's hand, the doors unlocked. We both exited the library and I stopped when I saw a maid.

'Excuse me, do you know where the king and queen are?'

'The king left shortly after the guests did. The queen is in her quarters'

I thanked the maid and headed towards the opposite side of the palace, where the master bedroom was. Laurei followed behind. When I made it to the master bedroom, I knocked on the doors. I was greeted by Torne, Mother's lady-in-waiting.

'My lady, your daughters are here'

'Let them in'

Laurei and I both entered Mother and Father's shared chambers. Mother was lying in her bed while reading her book. She seemed unhappy that we had disturbed her.

'Mother, I'd like to speak to you'

'Very well. Torne, you are excused. I'd like to speak to my daughters alone'

Torne left the bedchambers and closed the doors behind her. Mother stood up from her place on her bed and placed her book onto her dresser.

'I'm listening'

I glanced at Laurei who wore a blank expression on her face and spoke up.

'Its about my engagement'

Mother looked at both of us through her reading glasses. She gave Laurei a peculiar look and she exited the chambers. She motioned for me to sit down on the sofa and I followed.

'I would like to know why I have to marry Thor'

Mother took her glasses off and placed them on the table beside her.

'It would be beneficial for us and the kingdom'

'But how?'

'We are planning on building a better relationship with the Asgardians. Planning on uniting our realms as one, through the marriage of you and Thor'

'Are you sure that there is no other way to do this?'

Mother shook her head. She gave me a sympathetic look when I groaned. She placed her hand on my cheek and turned my face towards her.

'Don't worry. Thor will be a great husband. He'll make sure you're taken care of and he'll love you'

I nodded and stood up.

'Thank you for your time Mother, but I have other duties to attend to'

'Anytime, dear'

When I left Mother's bedchambers I glanced at Laurei who stood against the wall. She stared at the marble flooring and didn't pay me any mind.

'Excuse me Laurei, but are you ill?'

'So, that's it?'

I gave her a confused look and she frowned in response.

'You'll marry Thor and then you're off to live happily ever after!?'

'You are ill. You wanted to know about the marriage and you got your wish'

'Dear sister, we all have our place in the world. You're forgetting where yours is'

I scoffed and headed downstairs towards the garden. I needed to clear my head. But it wasn't because of the engagement. It was because of Laurei. I did love my sister but at times she could be a little too much.