Chapter Two:

Yusa had quite the difficult time getting across the room. She was forced to dodge reporters and fans who had gotten invitations to the party, unlike the ones outside. And unfortunately, they were just as intent on getting an interview with her.

“Sorry! ‘Scuse me!” She apologized, squeezing past two men in long black overcoats talking to another American actress, Chris Vineyard.

Finally, she made it to safety behind closed doors, rather out of breath as she recomposed herself before stepping forward to where her manager and a Nichiuri Television anchorman stood waiting.

“Ah, good, you’re here, Yusa.” Her manager said.

“Sorry about the delay, Ruth. I had some traffic jams.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Then, turning to the anchorman, Ruth spoke in broken Japanese. “She is now ready.”

The anchorman had an eager look in his eyes as he hurriedly ushered Yusa over to a couch on one side of the room before taking a seat in an armchair across from her. Cameramen stood at ready, waiting to begin filming.

The anchorman, Gouda, wrung his hands together. “Ah, Miss Yusa, are we to understand that this interview can be broadcasted on live television?”

Yusa shrugged. “I don’t see why not.”

“Great! Cameraman, start filming in three, two, one!”

The camera began rolling, and Gouda faced the lense, reading off his usual greeting to viewers. “And now, we are proud to present our exclusive interview with none other than the actress Yusa Saotome-Rowland!”

Yusa plastered a bright smile on her face. “Thanks for having me today.”

“I must say, Miss Yusa, your Japanese is quite good for a foreigner.”

“Why thank you. It’s only natural, I suppose. I’m half Japanese anyway.”

Gouda leaned forward. “Half?”

“Yes. My mother is Japanese, and my father is a British-American.”

“Your mother is Rumi Saotome, the former Japanese model, correct.”

Yusa nodded. “That is correct.”

“Ah, we apologize for bringing your mother up. It must be a painful subject for you, having lost your mother at such a young age.”

Yusa’s eyelid twitched slightly. Of course it was a painful subject. Rumi had died in a Japanese hospital from cancer less than an hour after watching her thirteen year old daughter win the United States national gymnastics tournament on TV. Yusa hadn’t even gotten the chance to show her mother her gold medal.

“Oh, no, it’s okay,” Yusa lied. “Sure, I miss her and all, but it’s reassuring in a way, knowing that she doesn’t have to suffer from her cancer anymore.”

Gouda gave her a sympathetic look. “We’re sorry for you. But on a more cheerful note, shall we answer some of our viewer’s questions?”

“Yes, let’s,” Yusa agreed, grateful for the change of topic.

An assistant brought in several envelopes and handed them to Gouda. He tore open the first one, pulled out the slip of paper inside, and read aloud. “Here’s our first question: Dear Yusa, what do you like to do in your spare time? From, Toki.”

Yusa blinked. Well isn’t that a random question. “Hm, let’s see. I enjoy reading in my free time, though I mostly hang out with friends from the acting agency. I also like visiting my old elementary school and read to the students.”