Chapter Four:

Yusa ignored the curious stares she was receiving from the party guests as she dashed through the ball room, making a beeline for the front desk. Then again, she was bound to catch a least some weird glances. After all, here she was, a famous actress, running barefoot at top speed, leaving wet footprints behind her.

She skidded to a stop in front of the front desk, stopping to catch her breath. The young woman seated behind the desk looked rather startled. “Um---may I help you, Miss Rowland?”

“Call----call the police!” She gasped, out of breath.

“Huh? I’m sorry-----what?”

“Nevermind, just dial the number and hand me the phone!”

The woman gave Yusa an extremely confused look, but did as she was asked. She then handed the phone to Yusa, who grabbed it and held it to her ear.

The police department answered on the third ring. “Hello? This is the Tokyo Police Department. How may we help you?”

“Send the police over right away. There’s been a murder at the Red Venus hotel and restaurant!”

“Of course. Officers will be there in a few short minutes.”

Yusa hung up, and let out a breath she had been holding. Seriously, who would’ve expected a murder case to happen right in this hotel? And the victim being none other than the hotel owner?

Turning on her heel, she made another sprint, this time to the medical desk. She flung open the door to the office, where a middle aged man sat, flipping through some documents. He glanced up at her entrance. “Yes?”

“We’ve got a girl with an injured knee on the thirteenth floor. Could you please go check on her; she can’t walk on it.”

“Yes, I will, right away. Please, lead the way.” He picked up a medical kit lying beside his desk and stood up, following Yusa all the way back up to the thirteenth floor.

Eri turned to face Yusa as the latter approached. “Well?”

“The police are coming in a few minutes, and the doctor’s right behind me.”

Eri relaxed, her shoulders sinking. “That’s good.”

“Excuse me, ma’am,” the doctor said. “But where is this injured girl?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. She’s down the hall, third room to the left.”

“Thank you.”

The doctor left, and Eri addressed Yusa. “I apologize for this, but could you do me one more favor?”

“Sure.”

“Could you go and keep an eye on Ran for me? I’d go myself, but I have to keep my womanizing fool of a husband in check, especially at a crime scene.”

Yusa nodded. “Got it. I’ll see you around, then.”

“And does this hurt?” The doctor asked, gently straightening Ran’s injured knee. Ran winced and nodded.

“And how about this?”

Another nod.

Finally, the doctor sat back in a chair opposite to where Ran perched on the side of the bed. “Hmm, it doesn’t appear to be anything serious. Your knee probably just absorbed too much of the shock for it to handle. Put an icepack on it, and you should be fine.”