Chapter Seven:

The assassin chased the woman down the hall, his gun in his hand. He was a professional killer with years of experience, and was one of the best in the business. He had shot and killed more politicians, movie stars, popstars, businessmen, and the like than he could even remember.

And yet he had never had as much trouble as he was having right now, chasing down the wife of that country music singer. Never would he have imagined that she would be so quick and light on her feet, running like the wind itself, her hair billowing out behind her like a dark banner.

He had yet to find the country singer, but until then, he’d settle with the wife first. Or so he thought. Now, he was reconsidering his actions. Maybe that guy would’ve been easier prey. But still, I don’t recall when I’ve had this much fun. A sneer spread over his mouth, and his eyes were alight with the murderous intent of killing the wife.

However, as he closed in on her, she suddenly disappeared right before his eyes. He skidded to a halt in shock, and had to go back over what had just happened in his mind. The woman hadn’t disappeared, but it sure seemed as though she had.

He replayed the events in his head, and was shocked to see that the woman had actually taken advantage of the stair railing, grabbed it with one hand as she raced past, and used her momentum to swing around down the stairs, making it seem as though she had disappeared.

His sneer grew wider. This woman was more fun than he had thought. He relish her death, down to its final moments, when he killed her.

Reloading his gun, he walked over to the stairs, hiding himself with his back pressed against the rails. He’d find that woman, without a doubt. She had to be around here somewhere. After all, there was no way she could outrun a bullet once he cornered her.

He was so busy imagining her dead body that he didn’t notice the figure that suddenly lunged out from the shadows until it was too late. By the time he began to react, her foot snapped out, and she kicked the silencer off the gun. Then her hand swung around, and she punched him right in the cheek, sending his sunglasses flying off, and revealing his face.

And as he staggered backwards, spitting blood and a tooth from his mouth, his eyes locked with hers. The moonlight illuminated the area around them, and he got his first good look at the woman.

The first thing he noticed was that this was no woman, but rather a young teenage girl. The shock was evident in his face once he realized that this girl was not his target, and that she was in fact Yusa Rowland, the famous actress from America.

And the two time world karate champion.

Yusa stood over her attacker, his face now revealed. She was shocked to see that he was only in his thirties, yet already a cold blooded killer. He had light brown hair, brown eyes, and a thick scar running in a diagonal across his face, starting at his left eyebrow and reaching down to the right side of his jaw bone.

“Who are you,” she demanded, “And why are you trying to kill me?”

The man didn’t reply, choosing to instead remain quiet as he wiped blood from the side of his mouth.

Yusa’s feelings of annoyance flared slightly. “Well? Say something.”

Again, the cold shoulder.

That did the trick. Yusa’s patience, already worn down past her limit, was shattered as her temper skyrocketed. She drew her fist back and smashed it into the wall an inch away from the man’s face, punching a hole clean through the wood to reveal the electric wiring. “Start talking already,” she snapped, “Or the next punch’ll break a bone!”