Chapter Three:

Two hours later, the party was still in full swing. Famous stars from all around Japan, Europe, and other countries mingled with each other, sharing past stories about their careers or simply holding light conversations to pass the time. Music played, and the dance floor was jam packed with dancers spinning around and around to the waltz that the orchestra played.

Yusa leaned back against the wall in one corner of the banquet hall, besides a tall houseplant. Though it was a secret, she didn’t really enjoy these types of fancy parties, and dancing didn't’ come naturally to her. Besides, this was supposed to be a hotel opening ceremony, not a full out ball.

Suddenly, Yusaku, Yukiko, the Mouris, and Conan walked over to her, along with one of the party assistants. “Hello, Yusa. Mind if we ask you some questions?”

“Sure, I don’t mind.”

“Have you seen Akitoshi Aogi anywhere?”

“The hotel owner?”

Yusaku nodded. “Yes, that’s him.”

She shook her head. “No, I haven’t seen him. I was wondering where he had gone off to. Why?”

The assistant wrung his hands together. “Mr. Aogi told us he’d give us the rest of the party specifications later, but that was two hours ago, so the kitchen staff is growing restless.”

“I see. Does anyone have an idea of where he could be?”

“Actually, yes,” a new voice spoke up. The speaker was a young woman with a clipboard under her arm and an earpiece in her ear.

“Who are you?” Yusaku asked.

“I’m Rizu Daibo, Mr. Aogi’s secretary. He told me a short while ago that he would be in his personal hotel suite. Would you like for me to take you to see him?” Yusa’s eye twitched. Aogi has his own suite here? It’s not like he’s a guest or anything.

“Yes, please.”

“Very well, follow me.”

As the secretary lead the way to the elevators, Yusa turned to Ran. “Say, where’s that friend of yours, Sonoko? Wasn’t she with you?”

Ran looked shocked that Yusa was addressing her personally. “Oh, no, I mean yes,----- Sonoko was with me for a while until she decided to go off on her own for a bit. She said something about checking out good looking guys and whatnot-----”

Yusa chuckled awkwardly in her head. Ha. Ha. Ha. So Sonoko’s that type of girl, is she?

Aogi’s suite turned out to be on the thirteenth floor, overlooking the swimming pool below. The secretary, Rizu, knocked on the door. “Mr. Aogi? The kitchen staff are waiting for your orders, sir.”

There was no answer from within the room.

“Sir? Mr. Aogi, sir?” Rizu knocked again.

Again, no answer.

The secretary frowned. “That’s strange, he told me for sure that he’d be in his room. Perhaps he fell asleep.”

However, Yusa spoke up. “Wait, do you hear that?” She tilted her head closer to the door, listening.

Yusaku nodded. “I hear it as well. It sounds like running water.”

“So if there’s water running inside, then he must be in the bathroom. So how come he didn’t hear Rizu knocking and calling for him? It doesn’t sound loud enough for him to be taking a shower.”