+twenty-five+

a/n; close to 5k words for this holy shit 

NARRATIVE

sweeping her arm in a wide arc, a thin line of white light caught one of the soul eaters in the chest and sent him flying backwards. when they managed to sneak up to her, sunmi would switch to simply grabbing them and pour the light through her palms instead. the sheer number of them heavily outweighed jungkook and her, but the duo was much more experienced. although sunmi's skills were still rather rusty, more of it came back to her by the second and gradually, it became like a second nature.

jungkook, on the other hand, seemed like a born natural. well, he was born half-demon, but even sunmi had wanted to stop and just stare in awe at the way he used the rod. flicks of the wrist sent sharp arrows of shadows at his enemies, piercing through their hearts and rendering them dead in seconds. in close range, he would simply use the rod to deliver precise blows. simple, clean, and viciously effective.

but it's not like the soul eaters were dummies who didn't know how to retaliate.

once sunmi had turned her back on them to ascend the stairs, tendrils of shadows would shoot out to wrap themselves around her neck, causing her to choke and fall backwards. the glow from her hands intensified, the heat searing through the freezing cold tendrils and severed them in half before she gulped the air in a hurry to save her burning lungs. the enraged soul eater sent another shadow which flew towards her at an alarming speed and this time round, she barely had time to dodge it. instead of cutting her in half, it made a shallow gash on her right arm.

out of nowhere, a curtain of black shards came descending on her, aiming straight at her head. as panic bubbled through sunmi, her eyes widened and threw up a protective shield which she knew would not be strong enough to withstand the pressure. instinctively dropping into a crouch, she shut her eyes and silently prayed. 

was she really going to die just like that?

when there was no pain for a few seconds, sunmi cracked her eyes open to find herself encased in a grey bubble instead of the usual white one, and the weather was turning really gloomy in that split second. wait, no. the weather didn't change ; there was a massive black block hovering right above her protective bubble, intercepting the shards. 

then, through a gap in the crowd, she saw jeon jungkook headlocking a soul eater with a single arm and snapping the palm of his other hand against the air. manipulating the shadows, he solidified it into the block that had defected the shards. gritting his teeth, he swept his arm downwards, clenching fists in the process. the now solidified block hit more than half of the soul eaters surrounding sunmi and gave her the golden opportunity to make her escape.

without hesitating, she scrambled to her feet and made a run for the staircase. she didn't look down — she didn't dare to look down. sunmi had no idea how many feet she was in the air already, but she was aware of the ache in her legs, muscles screaming for her to stop. adrenaline pumped through her veins and boosted her forward, hands grabbing onto the railings for support.

demons were able to teleport, or rather, sprint really quickly like what baekhyun had told her, but apparently not on this staircase. she was pretty sure it was enchanted, given that the soul eaters had to chase her on foot. nevertheless, they had much more strength than her and were slowly gaining. instinctively, she cast a quick glance down. 

and regretted immediately.

the remaining soul eaters on the ground had merged together to form a huge golem-like figure that literally screamed darkness. shadows that dripped menacingly from its entire form caused the flowers to wilt upon contact. it had no facial features, but its entire form towered a few feet high, resembling a large gooey boulder of shadows.