Chapter 16: The Wrong Foot

"POTTER?!" Whatever Lily had been expecting when she opened the door to the Head compartment, it certainly wasn't James Potter, who stood there grinning at her with his usual arrogant grin, his hair in disarray. It couldn't be true, it just couldn't.

But there it was, the telltale Head Boy badge pinned to the front of Potter's robes. Ridiculous or not, James Potter was Head Boy. The very thought of it twisted Lily's stomach into knots.

"How - how can this be?" Lily wondered aloud, sinking into the nearest seat.

"Wondered the same thing myself," James shrugged as he flopped down into the seat next to Lily. "There's a definite silver lining though: now you and I will be able to spend loads of time together."

"No more than I can help," Lily snorted. "Let's have one thing clear straight off, Potter. I still hate you. I may have admitted once that I admired what you did for Snape, but that's as far as it goes."

"Right," James grinned assuredly to prove to Lily how much he believed that particular statement. "C'mon Evans, admit it. You don't hate me at all. I'm exciting and talented and an all-round decent bloke, really. You might as well admit it: this year is going to be great and you'd hate to miss a second of it."

Very deliberately, Lily reached into her bag and pulled out a small vial of liquid. "I was saving this for the next time you asked me out, but this occasion seems so much more appropriate," Lily's eyes flashed fire. "Do you know what this is Potter?"

When James shook his head, puzzled, Lily uncorked the vial and continued.

"It's Shrinking Solution, a very potent one. If at any time this year I feel you are antagonizing me or abusing your authority as Head Boy, my hand just might slip," Lily tilted the vial ever so slightly to illustrate her point, "and drop this on your trousers, if you catch my meaning." Lily corked the vial, stowed it in her bag, and started toward the door. "You and I have to conduct the Prefect's meeting in half an hour," Lily tossed over her shoulder. "I trust I'll see you there. Cheers." Lily opened the compartment door.

"Sure thing," James replied casually, not sounding threatened by Lily's promise. "Oh, and Evans?" Lily turned. "You do realize what this Shrinking Solution bit means, don't you?"

"No, but I'm sure you'll enlighten me," Lily was wary.

James grinned. "It proves that you've been thinking about my trousers."

Lily immediately flushed a spectacular shade of scarlet and fled the compartment, leaving James to laugh over his triumph.

*** 

Two hours later, Lily shut herself in the loo, her head spinning. She had just left the Prefect meeting, her first-ever meeting as Head Girl. It had been the longest hour and a half of her life. How could she possibly do this once a week? She'd never make it to October.

Potter hadn't been completely unhelpful during the meeting and most of the Prefects knew and respected her from past experience, but she couldn't spend this much time with James Potter. Despite the long respite from him over the summer, she was still distracted by him. How was she supposed to function like this?

Calm down, Lily told herself. What you need right now is to see your friends and relax. It won't always be this bad, you were just surprised. Unpleasantly surprised. GO and find your friends, it'll help you feel normal.

Lily took a deep breath, pushed open the bathroom door, and went to find her friends. Finally she located them in a compartment toward the back of the train, all of them looking relaxed and brown from the sun.