Chapter 32: Absolutely Perfect

Classes at Hogwarts finally resumed on Thursday after the various weather spells throughout the castle began to wear off, and the students went off to them cheerfully enough, their spirits somewhat restored after their impromptu extra holiday courtesy of the Marauders.

Bellatrix remained absent on both Thursday and Friday, which led to school-wide speculation about whether or not she would in fact be returning, and consequently Thursday's and Friday's classes passed by uneventfully for the Gryffindor seventh years.

This extended absence gave James hope that just maybe Bellatrix wouldn't return to Hogwarts for the end of her seventh year. This seemed to be the most frequent theory currently spinning round in the Hogwarts rumour mill, but unlike loads of others, James had no wish to know what it was that was keeping Bellatrix away or where exactly she was. As long as she stayed away from his friends and most especially away from Lily, the psychotic bitch could rot in hell for all James cared.

However, James was in the minority. Most of Hogwarts was avidly curious to know what had happened to its psychotic bitch in residence. All of the other Slytherin seventh years were present and accounted for, even the ones the Gryffindors knew to have been at the Marchbankses'.

When Bellatrix wasn't present for meals on Saturday and Sunday either, James relaxed a bit. It really did seem that Bellatrix wouldn't be returning.

Which was why James was completely unprepared for the sight of Bellatrix sitting at the breakfast table and looking very much like her old self when he glanced at the Slytherin table on Monday morning.

James was so dismayed, in fact, that he simultaneously dropped the pitcher of pumpkin juice he'd been holding and began to choke on his mouthful of bacon.

"What.....is......SHE.....doing.......here?!" James managed as Sirius very obligingly whacked him on the back, the pumpkin juice flooding his lap in rivulets.

"Who?" Lily wanted to know as she dried James' robes with an airy flick of her wand. James gestured toward the Slytherin table and Lily stiffened as she followed his line of sight.

"Oh," Lily said finally in a surprisingly normal voice. Sirius, however, growled low in his throat.

"She won't be here for long if I have anything to do with it," he spat furiously.

"How could Dumbledore let her come back here?" James shook his head in disbelief.

"You can't be surprised by this," Lily spoke matter of factly. "Of course she came back. There's only half of the year left, why wouldn't she?"

"I promise she won't come anywhere near you, Lily," James whispered earnestly, his breath tickling Lily's ear. "I won't let her."

"Thank you," Lily replied, smiling at James. "But I can take care of myself. And I really doubt that Bellatrix is in any shape to be causing herself extra trouble at the moment." With that, she hurried to catch up to Alice, Dorcas, and Morwenna, leaving the Marauders, muttering darkly to each other, to follow her to class.

*** 

Snape had watched the Gryffindor table discreetly all through breakfast, avidly curious to observe their reactions to Bellatrix's presence. He had been unhappily surprised by their restraint; apart from Potter's small mishap, none of them had given Snape any satisfaction. This was highly disappointing, as Snape had been looking forward to watching the Gryffindors' reactions ever since Bellatrix had entered his study room the night before.

For one who prided himself on his ability to predict others' reactions, especially those of his housemates, Snape had been quite surprised to see her standing there. Bellatrix was a shadow of her former self; her eyes were rimmed with purple bruise-like circles and exhaustion was plain in every line of her body, but the maniacal grin was the same as it ever was, and the insanity in her eyes burned a bit brighter.