Chapter 20: Taking the Vulture by the Wings

Lily and James jumped apart with a speed that would have been remarkable if they had stopped to think about it, guilty, embarrassed expressions on both of their faces. In front of them stood Professor McGonagall, hands on hips, one foot tapping impatiently.

"Professor! It's excellent that you're here!" James had no idea what was coming out of his mouth. "Perhaps you can settle a little disagreement Miss Evans and I were having. For that essay you assigned us, did you say compare Transfiguring a BALACLAVA to a bucket or a BAKLAVA - " James broke off at the murderous glare Professor McGonagall shot his way.

"Do not try my patience further, Potter. I'm waiting to hear your explanation."

"We - we - were just - "

"Just WHAT, Mr. Potter?" McGonagall demanded, hands on hips. "You were just looking for rule-breakers behind Miss Evans' tonsils?"

Both students blushed furiously at that remark. But Professor McGonagall had not paused and was now delivering a blistering lecture, elaborating extensively on the ways, reasons, and extent to which they had disappointed her.

Finally, she assigned them each detentions - "SEPARATE detentions!" - and sent them off to Gryffindor Tower; she had lectured them through the rest of their patrol.

"I hope I have managed to impress upon you how very disappointing I find your behaviour," McGonagall finished up. "As Head students, it is your responsibility to set a good example for the rest of the school and, most importantly, not to abuse your privileges."

"Uh, Professor?" James, who had been silent throughout the lecture, spoke up.

"What is it, Potter?" McGonagall seemed a bit suspicious and more than a bit annoyed to be interrupted in the middle of her moral treatise.

"I'm not being disrespectful, really I'm not. I honestly just want to know if you said 'balaclava' or 'bak - '"

"POTTER!" McGonagall's look told James it was time to beat a hasty retreat, which he and Lily did without any further ado.

Lily could never remember being so embarrassed; her face had to be redder than her hair by now. Professor McGonagall, of all people, had caught them snogging. She'd probably never be able to look her in the face again.

Glancing over at James, Lily saw that not only was James not as mortified as she was but he was actually grinning. Catching her gaze, James, to Lily's horror and amazement, chuckled.

"What exactly, Potter, is so amusing to you? We, the Head Boy and Girl, just got caught snogging in the corridor we were supposed to be patrolling by our Head of House, also just happens to be the most uptight professor in the entire school." Lily paused for a moment, letting her words sink in, and finally chanced a glance at James, who was trying desperately not to laugh aloud.

"All right, it IS a bit funny," Lily conceded grudgingly, smiling in spite of herself.

"More than a bit funny," James had started to laugh.

"Maybe later it'll be more than a bit funny. Right now I'm too embarrassed to fully appreciate the humour." Lily blushed a bit more, recalling what had happened.

"Guess this means no more snogging on the job, then," James said after a moment.

"Guess so," Lily tried to sound nonchalant. She'd just KNOWN that he wouldn't want her anymore after he knew he could have her. Somehow being right wasn't as satisfying as she'd thought it would be.

James, fidgeting agitatedly while his insides churned in anticipation of his next question, finally got out: "What about off the job?"

"Huh?" Lily hadn't been expecting that.