10 // crown of love

____

July 6, 1961 // 8:42 pm
{ Soundtrack; Crown of Love - Arcade Fire }

"John, what the hell is wrong with ya?" Paul pushed him to the stone wall forcefully. John just stood there emotionless.

"I haven't made any bad decisions lately and I'm getting bored," he sneered, adding a light but broken chuckle. Paul was unfazed by his sarcastic remark, though.

"Look, I really don't want you guys to fight - especially since the fact that I'm in the center of it," I started. "There's just no use."

"Penny! I'm telling you... You mean so much more to me than you think. If you want me, please forgive me." I just glanced over at John, who was staring straight across.

"I came here to sit and watch cricket, alright? But since John invited me to Strawberry Field, I'm going. And... I don't want to talk about anything that has happened in the past... We can just be friends, for now." John teared his eyes up at mine.

"I don't want to be friends," Paul answered.

"Well, she didn't ask for your bloody opinion, mate," John recoiled and I let out a laugh.

"Don't start, John."

"Let's just go, and forget about it," Paul muttered, and John and I exchanged glances. We had some weird connection between us, as if we were both equally done with Paul's shit.

When we started climbing the fence, I realized something: this was their first fight. They both were the best of friends, sharing a modest little childhood ambition of conquering the world. Well, in the most vague sense of phrase.

But I felt guilty. I felt like I had starved them of their potential, and changed them for the worse. I felt they were no longer the bright-eyed optimists for a successful future. They had thrown that all out for a girl.

"So, what happened between you two anyways? It's like you could feel the awkwardness," John added and I just looked down to my shoes. Oh you know, we did it. Nothing out of the blue.

"Nothing! We're not talking about this now," Paul rebuffed before I could.

We then began climbing the fence, but before John could jump over, a policeman caught us.

"Well, if it isn't the one and only Lennon," he said with a deliberate attitude. John just smirked to himself.

"Yes sir, it is I, your local arshole," John teased and I laughed again, trying to hide it from the officer. Something about John's dry humor attracted me to him.

"Oh sod off, Lennon. You know it's a felony to climb this fence without lawful authority."

"Alright, I'll leave. But I do know you pick on me because you've ran out of entertainment for today." The police officer just rolled his eyes and walked away.

"They're gonna stuff you in a jail one of these days," I added to the awkward silence. He nodded, shooting me a sly lifted eyebrow.

"That would be an awfully big adventure."

"Well, take care. I've got to go home, get some songs finished for tomorrow. See you later, Pen," Paul said. It was evident that he succumbed to the realization that me and John were hitting it off.  After giving us a dismal goodbye, he was off. It was just me and John again - just how I liked it.

"Want to go get some ice cream?" He asked me as the sun started to set. I consented and got into his car.

We both ordered chocolate, scarfing it down in a matter of seconds, and sitting there not knowing what to do next. I then decided to talk to him about why he was always getting in trouble with the law.

"John? Why are you always getting in trouble... This side of you I've started to get to know is throwing me off... Especially since I haven't got a clue on which one is being true." He just dropped his eyes to the floor.

"My defenses are great. The cocky rock and roll hero who knows all the answers is actually a terrified guy who doesn't know how to cry. Simple." He looked up at me with his pink, lachrymose eyes and I could tell right away something or someone hurt him; inflicting something evil, almost malicious onto him and undoubtedly making him fake a people-pleasing smile. "What happened between you and Paul, anyway?" he quickly added before I could jump to any conclusions. I nodded, watching as the sky transitioned into an impenetrable Halloween-like dark purple. 

"I just- All the feelings seemed to have vanished. Which is hard to say, because he was my first love. I don't know why but everything has changed between us. Is that bad?"

"Why do people think being with someone is the answer to everything?" He asked me, and I was speechless. I don't know why.

"I don't know. I guess I've always dreamed of the perfect kiss, and I thought Paul could've given it to me. But he couldn't."

"You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how." Beauty emanated from every word he said, as well as those little lines etched around his eyes when he smirked. We both looked at each other and then simultaneously looked away. We both felt something we couldn't explain.

Then suddenly we both leaned in. It was almost like a dance, where we both folded into each other perfectly. Maybe this was the "perfect" kiss I've always dreamed of: where 2 hopeless kids find each other and end up together. In an idyllic world, anyways. Yes it's real love. It's real.

"I don't feel so well, Pen," he sulked after we climbed on top of his car and watched the virtually endless constellations light up the night sky. He laid on top of me, grasping at his head but not moving his attention away from the starry sky. We sat there for about 5 minutes, waiting for his headache to go away and with him swaying gently on my arm. "I'm feeling better," he announced.

"I'm glad."

"Wow, look at that!" He intoned. "Isn't it amazing?" I followed his gaze. The stars looked good but they didn't look that good. It was very odd seeing this genuine and well-rounded side of John. He was wired-pin-sharp and quivering, resonating away like a human tuning fork.

"It sure is."

____

Yay thanks for reading! And something surprising is gonna happen in the next chapter so stay tuned!!

Also school has gotten better and homecoming's tomorrow and I'm super excited! (: