18 // you really got a hold on me

____

December 2, 1964 // 10:37 am
{ Soundtrack; You Really Got a Hold On Me - The Beatles version }

"Bright are the stars that shine, dark is the sky. I know this love of mine will never die, and I love her." Those words traveled through my room and I brought myself up form my bed abruptly. I had suddenly felt nostalgic, there was something vaguely familiar about the singer's voice.

I looked to the window with a scowl plastered to my face as I examined my disheveled hair distastefully. These past days I loathed feeling nostalgic, because well, nostalgia is a dirty liar that insists things were better than they seemed. It only gave me the constant reminder of that night Paul left me with my beating heart in my hands.

I hadn't seen Paul for over 3 years. His memory was sad and it was sweet but I knew it complete. He was just a boy and I was just a girl, it doesn't really get much detailed after that.

After that night at the intersection of Penny Lane and Woolton Street, the fabulous Beatles never came back. No, they're not dead... They just never came back from their tour. I was completely and utterly saddened by that fact, because well, I was in love with Paul. Was.

I never got into Oxford. Journalism I guess just wasn't what I was supposed to do. I was 22 now, unemployed, despondent, and heartbroken. My once well-formulated life was now unfortunately a mindless adventure I go day by day. I had nothing to do except get married and settle down- but I didn't want to. I wanted to travel the world, write for high-rated newspaper and even... Go to Oxford, but like all happy endings in this story... They never happen.

My Dad tried setting me up with his mate's nephew. It was although unsuccessful initially, we became good friends. He was tall and wore all black under his dark blazer.

Jean, on the other hand, was eager and desperate to get married. Don't worry, she's still dating that bloke, Keith - who coincidentally joined another successful band called the Rolling Stones.

And also, don't worry, I'm not mad at her with sleeping with Paul. We were already broken up and they were both single and I was over him... At least I thought I was. But it doesn't matter anymore.

She sat staring out her window, watching as the rain drops hit continuously at the glass. She waited and yearned for him more than anything and anyone else. Oh, the tribulation of dating an international rockstar.

"I get it now, Pen."

"What is that you get?"

"How you can sit and stare out your window for hours on end. It's soothing; gives me a sense of being content. It's a subtle euphoria, I guess," Jean explained thoughtfully as she never moved her weary eyes out her foggy window.

"It's odd because I don't do that anymore. I'm happy now, and I don't need Paul or... Or even John to control my happiness!" I said confidently, leaning back onto her bed and glancing down at my ring finger. Maybe I wanted a wedding too.

"You've got the most brilliant guy, Penny! He's so tall and sweet and I'm so jealous. He's so perfect. I just wish Keith could be here with me," she sulked, still watching the rain.

"You're incredibly lucky, you've only had one boyfriend in yer life... And he's amazing. I've had 3, and one of them loved me and broke me in the same day," I added, remembering John and suddenly hating myself for not realizing he never really did love me.

"John is a fucking arse, alright? No boy like that should ever get any your time," she reassured, suspiciously walking over and kicking something under her bed.

"Jean, what the hell was that for?"

"Was what?" She denied, clearly lying about something. I looked under her messy bed and found several Beatles magazines. There was one with John on the cover with a blonde girl. I sighed to myself, finally realizing and succumbing to the reality that John never loved me.

I flipped through the magazine and found paragraphs and paragraphs referring to what kind of girls the famous Beatles like. I was curious so I read them. There was one that hooked me right away saying,

The reason why the Beatles covered the song, You Really Got a Hold on Me was because Paul stated that he actually meant it for a girl he met a few years back. Unfortunately they don't talk anymore and Paul is left wondering why! For more details go to page 76.

"Oh my," I gasped, dropping the magazine and getting up from Jean's bed. "Paul... He still loves me... I know it! I have to see him!"

"That's not too hot of an idea, Pen. Paul's got millions of girls falling at his feet for him. He probably won't see you, everywhere he goes the place is surging with girls," she argued, watching as I sat back down with a defeated frown. "Plus, you've got Davy."

"Sorry, I just got a call from Davy, Penny... He was asking for a night out-" My dad interrupted and I pushed myself off the bed.

"It's alright, I'll cancel," I muttered sheepishly, obviously disappointing him. My dad was indignant and fed up with how I had refused every boy who hoped for my hand in marriage. I felt I was a bloody widow and finding a suitor was my last resort.

"Pen... Davy is a nice boy, no? He plays guitar and sings just like that fucking sod, James." I shook my head. Whatever I tried, I couldn't get him out of my mind. I've never found someone who has left such a profound effect on me and my future love life.

"It's not just that, dad. I don't want to be forced into a bloody relationship. Falling in love should be spontaneous and beautiful, not dreadful and forced," I explained and Jean tried to make herself busy. "And what me and James had, well... It was beautiful, and it was incredible - infinite. The feelings were mutual and genuine and real." He looked at me gently as he pondered over how to answer.

"The one thing I know for sure is that feelings are rarely mutual, so when I heard you say that with compassion and how your eyes lit up, that was it. This is what the entire world is after and you've stumbled upon it by chance, by accident - so go find him and embrace each other with open arms because this is love, kid." The biggest, widest, brightest smile emanated from my once dispirited face when he finished those last words.

____

Omg. I am so sorry I haven't updated this story in forever. Updates will be up really soon.