{4} - f r a g i l i t y

"tooru?"

elise stood in front of me, an ice-cream cone in each hand. her soft blue eyes met my own, a half-baked grin forming on her glossy pink lips.

she was truly beautiful- a real work of art. too fragile to touch; most people would say. but she wasn't perfect- even i noticed it. she's a narcissist. people dismissed it as her just being prideful, but spending so much time with her just- suggested otherwise.

i know the way she thinks.
i know how fast her pretty eyes grow cold and calculating.
i know how she obsesses over her blonde hair and petite frame and i know how she thinks lowly of all the other girls and i know how she mutters insults under her breath and i know how manipulative she is.

and i know how i've fallen too deep into something i can't drag myself out of.

"i got you the 'super duper fucking rad and awesome tasting' milk-bread flavored ice-cream you wanted,"

she deadpanned, handing a cone to me.

"you do realize it's winter, right? my ass is frozen and you're offering it like i'm sweating balls-"

she pouted.

"t-thank you though."

finishing the ice-cream, i leaned over and kissed her flushed cheek. in response, she stood on her tiptoes and pushed her lips onto mine.

nothing.

it didn't feel romantic at all.
i felt the same emptiness every time, nothing new. no sparks, no fire, no passion erupting within me. a sensation of guilt arose from my hollow chest and made its way up to my throat- forcing me to choke out my words.

"elise, i-"

just as i was about to tell her, little flecks of white showered over us. one landed right on the tip of her nose, melting on contact.

breaking the silence, i took her warm hands into mine, lifting them up to the space between our faces. that moment felt like forever, as i got lost in the depths of her azure orbs. i leaned towards her face once again, our breaths intertwining as i whispered,

"race you to the dorms, bitch."

zooming off, i laughed, slipping here and there on ice. elise barely kept up with me, throwing snow balls to hinder winning title.

i loved her.

"i win, you owe me milk bread for a week,"

i chirped as we reached the girls' dorm. elise sighed and walked up the stairs. i watched her hand slowly turn the doorknob, but it halted.

her shoulders tensed up. she turned around to meet my gaze,

"w-would you like to stay the n-night?"

regret built up on her expression and she clarified,

"i mean, my roommate is not here for the night and uhh--
she's probably not gonna come back anytime soon and it's cold and i'm kinda lonely and i-"

i strode up the stairs in seconds and shut her up with a single kiss.
this kiss was different from the others.
more lustful, i suppose.
we hadn't really "done it" since we started dating. it'd only been kisses and cuddles that i'd taken advantage of.

heat radiated from her body when i held her in my embrace that night. i was unusually careful, like i was afraid to break her, but she--
she was the one who wrapped me in endless devotion.