Eight

I find it very odd that we keep running into each but maybe this was the reason. Maybe the universe was showing me that even though people treat you like shit, you should still be a good person. Maybe this is the end of the lesson and I can now ship her off to where she needs to be. Where does she need to be?

"So, am I taking you home?" I stare at her for a moment not knowing what to do. I notice that she looks even more like a teenager tonight. She wears a grey sweatshirt with dark leggings and tennis shoes. Her hair is pulled up into a messy bun and her face is bare. I think I like this Bonnie just as much as the dolled-up Bonnie.

"I don't have a home." She sniffles.

"What do you mean?" How is that possible? She was dressed as if she was well off. There has to be a misunderstanding.

"I don't have a place to call home." Her voice is still as soft as ever.

"Where's your family?"

She sits silent for a moment before shaking her head and having tears start up in her eyes again.

"Okay, okay, okay. We're gonna go to my place and we can work everything out from there, okay?" I couldn't handle anymore tears.

She nods then brings her knees close to her chest. I strap myself in with my seatbelt and wait for her to follow suit – she doesn't.

"Bonnie, put your seatbelt on." I wait patiently.

"It's fine, I don't need it." She sniffles.

"Yes, you do. I wasn't asking you if you wanted to put it on, I was telling you."

She glances at me and says, "You're not my dad."

What? I'm probably old enough to be your dad. I press the unlock button on the car and glance over to her, "Bonnie, it's either the seatbelt or you figure things out alone."

She sits quiet for a moment before grabbing her seatbelt.

"Thank you." Then I pull off towards my house.

Once we reach my house, I lead us in and she stands still awkwardly for a moment.

"Um, you can sit down. I'll go get you some water." Heading into the kitchen, I quickly get water and bring it to Bonnie.

Sighing, she says, "Now what? I still don't have a home."

"Well..." She is basically begging me to let her stay the night, "I suppose you could sleep here for the time being. At least until you can get yourself back on your feet."

"Really?" She gives a weak smile.

"Yes."

"Why are you being so nice to me? After everything I did to you." She says softly.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just a nice person." I say.

"Yeah."

"Yeah..." I stare at her for a moment. Looking for what she really wanted to say but quickly recover, "I'm going to go get you a blanket and pillow."

The night was strange with a woman sleeping in my living room. It was odd knowing that any noise I make will be heard by her. Oh, it's going to be a long night.

Comment & Vote