chapter 10

Steff's p.o.v.

Steff and Aly were in her room. Aly sat on her bed and Steff was in the bathroom putting on her makeup she only wore it on special occasions.

When she finished she pulled on her dress that she got when she went sopping with Addy. It was red, tight at the top and flowed from her waist down to her knees. She had a pair of red flats on and her hair was hanging again she was running out of time so she didn't straighten it.

She went out to her room where Zake now sat by Aly. "Oh!" Aly squealed. "You look beautiful."

Zake looked like he got hit by a pound of brick. "Wow! That's all I can say. Wow!"

She blushed and looked down. "Thanks!" They went down to the family room where Grace waited.

"Awe." Grace teased Zake. "My baby brother is finally getting out there once again."

"Yeah." Steff chimed in. "Took him two years." She teased. He took her hands and kissed her lips.

He whispered. "Yeah. I told her forever ago."

"Really?" She looked at Grace

"Oh, yeah. We tell each other everything." She smiled at her. "I'm Grace. Call me GG." She extended a hand and Steff took it.

"Steff, but you knew that."

"Yeah. I did." They laughed. GG turned her attention to Aly. "Now I think someone's birthday is on Saturday and I'll be out of town that day. So here." She picked a large gift bag off the ground. "This is for you." She took an envelope out of her bag. "This is for you, Steff. Open it."

She did and was surprised to see a gift card for a spa house near the mall. "Oh!" She looked at Grace. "Thank you!"

"I want to take you tomorrow afternoon." She held up another one. "We got a lot to talk about."

"Okay." Zake said. "We're off. By baby." He kissed Aly's cheek and took Steff's hand.

______________________________

Zake's p.o.v.

When they got home it was almost one. GG slept on the couch in the family room.

"GG?" Zake patted her arm. "We're home now. Wake up."

She blinked awake and yawned. "What time is it?" She looked at the clock. "To late to call a cab."

"I'll drive you. Let's go." He took her arm and helped her up then gave Steff a quick kiss.

They went out to the car and drove out. "So she's you're nanny?" He nodded. "Remember Lace?" He nodded again.

Lace was one of his old bosses. They dated for a few days then he told her bosses shouldn't date employees. "Yeah I remember." He sighed. He stopped and she got out.

"Just remember." She said before leaving. "You are a hypocrite."

"Yeah." He nodded. "I know. But I can't not love her. And if I fire her she'd have to live with Addy." He drove off. "Steff." He sighed.

He got home and saw that Steff had waited for him in the family room and fell asleep. He picked her up and took her up the stairs. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

He set her on her bed and almost climbed in next to her then heard Grace's voice in his head. "Hypocrite."

He kissed her cheek and went to his room. He tossed and turned in his bed. Failing to grab sleep. The light came in from the windows.

_________________________________

Steff's p.o.v.

She remembered falling asleep on the couch but woke up in her bed. She half expected Zake to be right next to her but it was only her on her bed.

She went to the kitchen and made pancakes for when they wake up. She set the last thing on the table when Aly and Zake came in. She kissed them both on the cheek. He looked like he didn't even sleep last night.

"Hey." She took his hand. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I just need some coffee today." He went to the maker and made a single cup. He sat by her and took her hand. "I love you." He whispered.

"I love you too, Zake." She kissed his cheek.

They ate in silence and went to the game room. Aly played with her dolls while Zake and Steff sat on the couch cuddling. He seems distant. She thought.

They stayed in that room until one. GG came up and stood by the door. "Well, Steff you coming?" She kissed Zake then stood.

They went to the spa and got their nails done. "So?" GG said making conversation. "You and my brother?"

"Yeah." Steff said.

"He's your boss tough?" She said the ladies doing their nails shared a look.

"I know." Steff sighed. "I just-I don't know."

"Well, he told me that your old boss wanted you and you said no. So what makes him so special."

"Yeah." She looked down at her lap. "It's complicated."

"I'll bet."

__________________________

Zake's p.o.v.

When they got back Steff looked tired. Who knew the spa could drain so much energy out of her. He thought then realized. It was GG.

Steff took his arm and pulled him into Aly's play room. She shut the door and leaned against it. "Zake."

"Listen, it was all her, okay?" He held her arms. "Grace did the same thing to me and Rian. Its what she does. She pulls people apart. She breaks relationships."

"You're my boss!" She hissed. "I can't do it anymore. I'm a hypocrite. I don't want to be. I can't be." She panted. "I love you. But I can't do it anymore. I'm sorry. Tell Aly I had to go. Tell her I'll miss her." A tear fell down her cheek.

She opened the door and ran to her room. She packed her things and called Addy.

Steff: Will you come get me? I need a ride.

Addy: Sure where to?

Steff: I'm-I quit. I'm going to find an apartment soon. But until then can I stay with you?

Addy: Yes of course. I'll be there in ten.

Steff: Thanks.