5.Why Can't He Go Away?

The weekend flew by. I made sure I finished all my homework and was pretty much caught up with my classes. Like always, Dad didn't remember what happened Friday night. He ended up sleeping in for most of the weekend. The rest of us spent time cleaning up the place and unpacking the rest of our boxes. I spent most of the weekend in my room.

Once Monday came around, I was ready for the weekend again. For my first three classes, I had even more work to do. I walked into my English class, already regretting the day. I dropped my stuff next to my seat and sat down. All the other students were talking to each other, while I ignored them all. I sat there, starring at my phone, waiting for the bell. I swear, I almost fell asleep while sitting there.

Mrs. Holt walked into the classroom with her usual happy greeting. (I didn't feel the same.) She then went on talking about what we were going to do today. I was about to tune her out but she said something that caught my attention.

"Okay class, we all need to pull out Their Eyes are Watching God novel."

My eyes widen. What? I looked around and saw the other students shuffling around in their bags. Some started pulling out a thin novel. They must of gotten it Friday while I wasn't here. I slowly raised my hand in the air. Mrs. Holt looked up and asked, "Yes, Mary?"

I put my hand down as I stated, "Um, I wasn't here Friday and didn't get a book."

"That's right," she snapped her fingers while she said that, "Come on up here."

I nodded and slid out of my chair. As I walked toward her desk, she asked, "Do you know where the library is?"

"I could show her!" Rex's head pricked up. My eyes widen. Oh God, no. Not him. I turned to see Mrs. Holt waved him off, as if trying to tell him no. He pout while he began flipping through pages of his book.

I started to nod my head, "Yes I know where the library is."

"Okay," She started writing something down on a small piece of paper, "Give this to the librarian and tell her you need this book."

I nodded, "Okay." I took the slip of paper and quickly got out of the classroom.

Once in the hall, I let a breathe out. I don't know why I was holding it in, but I was. I began walking through the hall. I noticed how empty it was without any kids. As I walked, I saw all the encouraging posters that were hung all over the place. I silently laughed to myself. (I don't understand why schools do that. It's not like we really pay attention to them.) I passed my a classroom that had artwork hanging on the walls. I turned left down another hallway. Soon I made a right and, after a bit more walking, I was in the front. I walked to the library and opened the door.

The library wasn't anything impressive. (I've seen bigger.) All around were shelves of books. They were maybe 4 feet tall and stuffed full of books. The back wall was just covered in rows of shelves. Right in front of the door was numerous tables with chairs. Off to left was a large circular counter with two computer monitors sitting behind it. Behind the huge desk was an office door which was closed. As I walked to the counter, the door opened. Out came a short, plump woman with her light black hair pulled into a neat bun.

She looked up at me, "Yes, Dear?"

I cleared my throat, "I need this book for my class," and I handed her the piece of paper.

She grabbed the paper and nodded. The woman waddled away from the desk and around the corner. Then she disappeared out of sight. I turned and looked at the library. It was a very small library. It looked like no one came and visited unless they had to. As I turned back around, the librarian was back and had the same thin book everyone in my class had. She asked me my name and check the book out for me. I walked out to go back to class.