10

DAY OF PROM

Isabelle's POV

"I can't believe he did that for you." Riley shakes her head as we get our pedicures.

"I'm not even joking. I can show you a video." I pull out my phone and hand it to him. It's when Justin was performing Purpose.

She watches with an open mouth. In the video I record Justin and turn the camera to Ethan smiling at me. After she's done with the video I swipe to the left and show her the picture of me, Ethan, and Justin.

After the show Justin came off stage and talked to us for a while. He's actually a really nice person. He told us that he's really excited about this tour. He said he really enjoyed watching my reaction. I told him that Taylor was a huge fan and he took a picture with us.

I'm still in shock that Ethan actually got me a private performance. He told me he loves me.

I love him so much.

Not only because he got me a private concert with one of the biggest pop stars alive, he really treats me well and I love his personality.

----

I pull on my dress after going to MAC to have them do my makeup. I slide into my black, velvet pumps and curl my hair. I pull a few strands back and bobby pin them together at the back of my head. I grab my black clutch and phone and go downstairs with Riley to wait for the twins.

They're picking us up.

The doorbell rings and I take a deep breath.

Ethan's POV

Rhonda swings the door open and hugs me immediately. I gasp and then hug her back.

"I can't believe what you did." She pulls away with a thankful smile.

"I'm glad she liked it."

"I'm glad you came into her life." She hugs me one more time and steps over to Grayson, "Nice to see you again, young man."

He smiles and hugs her too. I look inside and see Isabelle standing in the hallway. My jaw drops.

She looks like a goddess.

She steps towards me and I hold out the white rose for her. She takes it and wraps her hands behind my neck, pulling me in for a kiss. I wrap my arms around her waist and smile into the kiss. I hear sniffles and break away, confused.

I turn around. Rhonda is crying.

"Mom! What's wrong?" Isabelle gasps and pulls her into an embrace.

"It's just- I- I- am so happy- you found- s-someone like him." She says between sobs.

I blush and look down. Riley and Grayson stand to the side smiling.

"I'm glad I found someone like her." I say quietly and Isabelle looks at me lovingly.

"Okay okay... Lemme take some pictures and you guys can be off." Rhonda stands back and pulls out her phone.

Isabelle's POV

We take a few pictures and go to get in the car. Turns out the twins rented a limo. I shake my head at their generosity.

Sometimes I worry Ethan thinks I wouldn't love him without the surprises. I'd love him just as much. I'd love him if he had $0.

We get in the limo and suddenly I feel nervous. I don't know why but for some reason I feel like something bad is going to happen. It's probably just my mind...

The driver starts the engine and pulls out into the street. We sit in silence until we get to the freeway.

"I got a hotel if you want to stay with me tonight..." Ethan leans over and whispers.

"I'd love to." I smile.

I lean over and kiss him on the cheek. He rests his and on my thigh and I lay my head on his shoulder.

"SHIT!" The driver yells and I feel the car swerve.

Ethan's POV

I feel my body thrash like a rag doll and my head hits something hard.

Everything goes black.

Isabelle's POV

I scream as the car flips and freefalls down off the overpass. Everything moves in slow motion.

At that moment I realize, I might not escape this time.

The impact of the limo hitting the road below sends me flying through the broken window.

I should have worn my seatbelt...

Grayson's POV

I open my eyes and cough. Isabelle's not in the car. Ethan's unconscious. Riley screams. I crawl through the broken window and lay on the busy road.

Sirens.

Darkness.

----

My eyes jolt open and I look around, bewildered. I'm in a hospital.

Where is everyone?

I look to my left. My mom sits by my bed, asleep. I look around for the help button. I find it and press it immediately. The nurse rushes into the room and sighs in relief when she sees me awake.

"Where is everyone?" I croak. My arm hurts like hell. I look down. It's in a cast.

"Your friends, Riley and Isabelle, are okay," She says and I sigh of relief, "but..."

My heart clenches.

Ethan.

"Your brother... He's in a bad state... He's in a coma." She looks at me with sympathy.

Everything she says after that is silenced by my heartbeat in my ears. I can't hear anyone. It feels like the entire world comes crumbling down on me.

"He's gonna wake up. Right? He's gonna be okay. RIGHT?" Tears spill out of my eyes. My mom jolts awake as I raise my voice. She gasps and stands to greet me.

She sees my tears and gathers me in her arms.

"I'm sorry, at this point we have about 9 months before we need to pull the plug." She drops her head.

If he doesn't wake up by then, he's gone.

My best friend.

I don't want him to die.