14

8 months until plug is pulled

Grayson's POV

It's been a month. Ethan still hasn't woken up. Every day is just as hard. Our family has fallen. Mom is always locked up in her room, Cameron is never home. I'm always at the hospital with Ethan.

I need him to come back.

We all do.

Isabelle's taking it the hardest. She hasn't been at school, I think she started online schooling. She's totally avoiding me. We run into each other in the hospital sometimes but she hasn't spoken to me since we left the hospital after the accident.

I understand though. She lost her dad, Taylor, now maybe Ethan. I'd be reacting the same way.

Everything reminds me of him.

Everything.

I haven't heard his laugh in a whole month. At times he was not only my best friend, he was my only friend.

I'm losing my best friend.

----

Ding.

I look down at my phone. A text... from Isabelle.

Izy: I'll be over to pick you up at 3, be ready.

Me: Where are we going?

She reads it but doesn't respond. I sigh and get up off my bed. I open my drawers and pull out Ethan's black Adidas sweater. I've been wearing his clothes lately, they remind me of him. Plus we're virtually the same person, so I can pull off anything he wears.

I slip on some jeans and vans and look at the time.

2:45

I slip my phone into my back pocket and jog downstairs for some food. I wonder what Isabelle and I are doing today. She's a good friend. I liked Riley but we haven't talked much since the crash. I kind of pushed her away. It's just that... I miss my best friend.

I eat a bowl of cereal and check the time again.

2:58

She should be here any minute.

The doorbell rings. She's here.

I open the wooden door. She stands in front of me, Ethan's hoodie hangs loosely around her torso, complimenting her leggings. Her hair is up in a messy ponytail. She has no makeup on, her small amount of acne and bags under her eyes show that she hasn't tried much lately. I can tell she hasn't slept.

She steps forward and pulls me into a hug. I hold her tightly and she buries her face in my neck.

"Grayson." Her voice is brittle, it shows how broken her heart is.

"Isabelle." I whisper. She holds on to my waist and I keep my arms around her neck. It's not a romantic hug at all. It's comforting. I missed her, she's the only friend I have left.

She takes a deep breath and pulls away. She stares at me with sad eyes and smiles.

"I wanna show you something." She turns for me to follow. I walk behind her to her car and get in the passenger seat.

"Where are we going?" I ask as I buckle up. I've always worn my seatbelt since prom.

"It's a surprise." She turns on the car and backs out of the driveway. She plugs her phone into the aux cord and plays a playlist labeled, i cri. The first song to play is Heaven by Beyonce.

The words make my heart beat faster. It reminds me of Ethan.

We laughed at the darkness, so scared that we lost it. We stood on the ceiling, you showed me love was all I needed. But heaven couldn't wait for you.

I already feel the tears struggling to come out.

Come back, Ethan.

"I miss him." Izy whispers, almost to where I don't hear her.

"Me too."

----

We get to the bottom of a really tall hill. Or a short mountain.

"Where the fuck are we?" I look around in confusion. We're on the outskirts of town.

"Trust me." She smiles and reaches for my hand. I intertwine our fingers and begin hiking up to the top.

We hike up and talk about our memories with Ethan. She was happy with him. I could tell when they were together, and I can most definitely tell now.

"You loved him." I smile as we reach the top.

"I did." She keeps her gaze up ahead.

"I did too." We stay silent and finally get up to the top. I release her hand and spin in a circle, taking a look around. It overlooks the town. Every building. I can see the hospital from here.

"He showed me this. He said he's never showed it to anyone at all. I thought maybe you wanted to see it. I come here when I need a break. When I need to getaway." She looks down and her cheeks glisten as tears make their way to the ground.

"It's beautiful." I pull her into another embrace and I feel her sobs grow. I hold her in my arms and realize...

If Ethan dies, I have to be here to keep her safe.