Prologue

Prologue

Walking through the hallway, my body was wracked with nerves. Everyone knew what happened, and while it was the best thing they had witnessed in all of their lives, it happened to be the most heart-shattering thing to happen to me.

I kept my head down as I sped down the hall, it wasn't surprising that everyone knew what just went down only moments ago, all I wanted to do was disappear, my cheeks red in embarrassment as I attempted to hide it from the eyes that were focused on me as I continued to speed through the crowded hall.

Get me out of here.

"Did you hear?" I heard a girl in front of me snicker, nudging her friend with her elbow as I passed by. My wolf senses heightened my hearing, and while I could have simply blocked my senses I couldn't help but listen in. "She is Hayden's mate."

The girl beside her gasped, before muttering a quiet sound of disgust. "Poor Hayden." From behind me, I heard the first girl giggle at her friend's reaction. "Oh don't worry about it, he rejected her."

"No way!"

"In front of everyone!" The girl laughed. "You should have been there, her face was priceless." I could hear both girls laugh with each other, laughing at me before the friend spoke up again;

"What did she expect? The girl is a waste of space." I cringed away, finally blocking my heightened senses as my pace sped up and I was almost running out of the building.

As I made it outside, I broke into a sprint with the want to get away as fast as possible.

I felt my wolf breaking inside of me, howling for our mate. I wanted to scream.

I could still feel the pain of being rejected on my birthday.

I wish I had never walked into that lunch hall today, I wish I had never caught the smell of honeysuckle and lavender—the most alluring smell to me. I knew that every second that I had found my mate.

Once you hit the age of sixteen, it gives your wolf the ability to recognise our mate's scent and it being my sixteen birthday today, I could finally find my mate.

I've always wanted a mate, I wanted a mate to drag me away from this pack, this world that I was currently living it. Ever since my parents had passed years ago, I've been the butt of every joke. Everyone believed it was my fault that my parents had passed, the facts of which pained me to even think about. My parents were loved, my father being the Beta of the pack meant that he held a lot of pride and he was given a lot of respect from the pack.

Having died an unnatural death hit the pack hard and while they comforted my brother, Lane, I was a different story. They hated me for my parents dying, for them losing a large part of their part, of their own family.

Hell, sometimes I hated myself too.

Since then, the pack has thrown everything at me. They all hated me, the only person that didn't throw such aggression at me was the Alpha, it was the Alpha way to be kind to his pack, however that cannot be said about his son Hayden.

Before I could get far, I slammed into another body which sent myself to the side, slamming harshly on the ground with nothing to break my fall.

"Jesus!" I heard from above me, looking up I saw the familiar face of my brother, Lane.

"Lane, I—"

"Are you fucking serious, Reese? Are you seriously incapable of using your fucking eyes?" He snarled, looking at me in disgust. Just like the pack, my own brother blamed me for our parents' death.

"I'm sorry," I stuttered out, pushing myself off the floor knowing that I clearly wasn't going to get any help. Lane glared, watching as I lifted myself off of the floor.

"You really are good for nothing, aren't you?" He scoffed at me, crossing his arms over his chest. "Are what were you going running out of school? Think you're too good for it now?" He raised an eyebrow at me and I held back on a snarky retort, I didn't want to anger him.

"I just—I had to get out of here, okay?" I huffed, rubbing my upper arm to distract me from the uncomfortable air between Lane and I. Lane's eyebrow was still raised as he waited for me to continue. I rolled my eyes, puffing up my cheeks in irritation before responding. "I found my mate."

Lane's eyes bulged large before he spurted out a laugh. "Wow," He breathed out, strolling past me with a jibe at my shoulder with his own. I refused to turn to him as he walked off, instead, I held my head high. I was ready to walk off and forget that Lane was even here before I heard him speak again;

"Poor guy might as well reject you quickly while he still can." My eyes bugled large, if smoke could come out of my ears they would be a chimney by now. I felt my wolf angrily shake within me, growling and this time I let my wolf's growl be heard.

"You fucking bastard." I snarled, sharply turning my body to face my dreadful brother. His eyes were wide, registering what I had said, before narrowing his eyes at me.

"What did you just say—"

"I called you a fucking bastard," I repeated, stepping closer to my older brother as I bared my teeth. "Because that's what you are; a disgusting, downgrading, piece of shit of brother and a fucking bastard."

Lane's mouth fell open, I could sense how angry he was by the face his face was slowly turning red. He growled at me angrily, stepping close much as I did moments ago. "Close your words closely, pup." He threatened.

"You know what, I've had enough of your disgusting behaviour. I don't have to deal with your bullshit anymore, I'm not someone you can push around because you're bored I'm your fucking sister! I am the only blood you have left because instead, you choose to stand with your pack? The same pack that turned their back on a grieving six-year-old girl who had just lost their parents. And the only person that I could trust to stand by me, my own mate, I've found him and you want him to reject me? You want him to reject to what? Push me to the fucking edge?"

Lane was silent as I spoke, just watching me with his emotionless eyes. He didn't care about what I was saying, he didn't have to listen to this because anything I say was going straight over his head.

Nothing I say will change the way I've been treated and how I will be continued to be treated.

"You know what," I sighed, feeling deflated as I watched Lane unaffected. "I'm done." I shrugged, stepping away from Lane.

"They'll be punishments for opening your mouth, pup!" Lane called out to me as I made a distance from him.

I know there will, I just won't be here to take it.