Chapter 2

As promised, Aria had arrived by noon the next day. Her eyes wide with awe at the largeness of his castle and the beauty of his people. Her hair had been delicately braided, her body clad in amaranth colored garbs with evergreen vines corseted down the sides. The gown she wore reached the ground and her bare toes peeked out from beneath the hem. King Darach smiled down at her, her attempt to tame the wildness that was her was thoughtful.

"Father who is she?" Leana's tiny voice squeaked cautiously behind him. She glanced around him to the shabby girl, her bottom lip caught in a pout, her amber eyes filled with curiosity. Darach touched the back of his daughters head and reassured her gently.

"This is Aria Bloodthorne, kitling. She's your new Lady–in–waiting." He spoke welcomingly and ushered Aria and Leana into the castle. Aria had barely had enough time to adjust to her new life when the battle had struck. The castle had been in a frenzy for those long years, every Male the kingdom had to spare was trained and deployed, even Prince Drágon once he reached blade wielding age.
Once the war was lost the division began. Fae, Dragon and the like who bore hatred for man fled to the East. Those Fae who had a dark mark on their soul became known as Draugh. Those who stayed kept their Far name and the old beliefs alive. Then there were those who gave up their immortality to be with Man, they bore their children and they foresook their heritage. King Darach's kingdom was now weak, his fields were drenched in the blood of his enemies and of his people.
Aria stood in the door way to his study, adorning a silvery white gown with a golden chemise. Her hair, long and flaming wild was left untouched, just the way she had always preferred it. The Fae King sat defeated in his chair, head held up only by his hand. His brown hair had began to gray from the stress alone. She cleared her throat, her spirit restless.

"You called for me, my King?" She spoke up softly, further alerting him to her presence. He didn't glance up at her, instead he sighed heavily and rubbed the wrinkles on his forehead with his rough, calloused fingers.

"Aiyah ajiana. You understand that the split has cost us many valuable alliances, aiyah?" He asked roughly. Aria switched her weight between the balls of her feet.

"Aiyah, I understand."

"Then you should know how much danger the Princess is in. If anyone finds the power that she or I hold, or even you, little falla, then they will come for us. I am going to ask you to do something that under any other circumstances I would never even think to burden you with, I need you to take it with the utmost seriousness, do you understand?" The King finally got up, his fiery eyes gazing deeply within her own as he stepped towards her. She swallowed thickly, nervously, but refused to back down. It was only when he came within a few paces in front of her that she felt a deep, rumbling growl boul up from her diaphragm.

"What is it?" She asked hesitantly. King Darach paused before answering. He understood her hesitancy, if he were in her shoes he would be just as cautious.

"I need you to protect Leana, Teska. Please. Drágon was the only other person who loved her as deeply as you or I and now he has forsaken us. I need you to train with my warriors and learn to use the gifts Crann Beatha gave you at birth. It is her only chance. Ku'shalah aiyah to nei." Bid me yes or no. Aria's eyes widened and shifted, the pupils now almost feline in nature with slitted pupils. She never thought she would have to protect the Princess, she always thought the quintet surrounding the Princess would do that. But she came to realize that they had indeed lost many men in the war, and a great other number of their brethren had turned their backs and became Draugh, including Drágon, the crowned Prince of Death. Her heart beat rapidly in response to his request, a fire burned in her veins at the thought of battle, and a sickly yearning clenched at her stomach. With a soft nod she answered.