Chapter 3

Aria had been caught at the entrance of the castle with her gown torn from her waist, a sight she had to admit was unruly and certainly unbecoming of a Lady-in-waiting. Though her mannerisms and her stance radiated a lady of high standing which made the guards confused, their onyx coloured skin etched with ancient runes and patterns as was accustomed to their place in the hierarchy.

"You may come no further, not without proper validation." The one on the right gruffed. She eyed him coolly, taking note at his build. His muscles were cleanly defined and sculpted, his eyes clouded over by a milky blue wash. This was an odd trait for a Draugh Elf. Their eyes were normally blacker than night; he was obviously a half-breed like she was.

"Name?" She requested boldly. The half-breed's face darkened, as if offended by her question.

"What?" His voice came out like a growl from a dragon; hot and angry.

"I asked you your name warrior." She repeated firmly. Her voice icy and calm.

"And who are you to ask of my name?"
Aria's back became poker straight at his rudeness, her teeth were set on edge. A deep guteral growl climbed it's way up from deep within her chest. She opened up her mouth to answer his demanding question until a familiar voice interrupted her actions.

"Her name is Aria Bloodthorne, my Lady-in-waiting. Please, stand down." Leana's voice was kind and gentle. Aria glanced in her Princess' direction and dipped her head in respect, curtsying as she did so.

"Princess! Bote cha!" Arms at the ready. In an instant the guards stood in attention, then on command their bodies bent forward, their right arms crossing over their chests while their fists landed over their hearts. With a slight nod the Princess dismissed them, allowing them to be at ease. When they rose from their bended state Aria began to step forward, stopping at the half-breed guard.

"Sieks'ta, falla." I'm sorry, my lady. The guard spoke lowly, his eyes looking passed her. Aria's demeanor softened towards him.

"What is your name?"

"Syrryn Daerl, Son of Solin Daerl." Aria nodded in approval at this information.

"A great warrior, I have heard. Do you have a family?" She asked, calling air to lift her up so she could look him in the eye. Syrryn looked surprised, shocked even at her boldness. She wanted to know who this man was, she had been impressed by his determination. Syrryn's face dropped it's shock and was replaced with a look of awe and suspicion. "Fear not, you are not in trouble. In fact, quite the opposite."
"I...I have a wife, T'rissa and a son. Nanin. He's only a boy, 102 years young."
Aria smiled tenderly and touched Syrryn's chest, her fingers spreading over the cool fabric of his armor.

"He has big shoes to fill. Raise him with wisdom and determination. He will learn loyalty and honor." She blessed, her palm began to glow faintly, enough for only her to notice. She felt a soft hum from her blessing and for a moment his muscles relaxed. She withdrew her hand and bowed in respect before turning and joining her Princess.
Aria beamed at Leana, mischief shining brightly in her green eyes. Leana sighed and shook her head disapprovingly, a small smile creeping across her face. They walked away, not turning back to face the guards that were watching in curiosity.

"You look terrible, Aria. Teska. Tell me you weren't out of the kingdoms borders again?" Leana questioned in a low tone, her smile slowly fading. Aria sighed heavily, looking down with a hardened expression. Leana felt guilt and annoyance seeping through their intertwined soul strings. "You are lucky it was me who found you and not father."

"I just wanted to feel the rain..." Aria whispered pitifully. Leana softened at her friends voice.

"Aria what am I to do with you?" The Princess shook her head and dragged the half-breed Lady-in-waiting into their chambers. She ordered the servants to leave, before turning her attention back the the freedom sick female in front of her. "Come let's get you dressed, I assume you have a perfectly ready and able gown that would be appropriate for the King's council?" Leana pressed, hurrying over to Aria's wardrobe. Aria took a sharp breath in and jumped up.

"Ah! You needn't go in there. I'm perfectly capable of dressing myself Leana," she insisted nervously. Leana scrunched up her face at her friends protests and proceeded to open the door only to be met with a mixture of Fae clothing and human clothing. Leana stepped back and turned her head sharply.

"What is your fascination with humans?" She grumbled, her brows furrowing. Aria couldn't bring herself to meet the Princess's amber coloured eyes. She merely shrugged in response.

"They are interesting. I adore their world and their language and their customs–"

"You aren't a human, Aria." Leana interrupted her coldly then pulled out a pale green dress after sifting through the half-breed's closet some more, being cautious not to touch the human clothes. She'd have to remind herself to hide them from her maid's sight else her father would discover them. Her heart felt squeezed, her throat constricted. She felt a warm tear slide down her porcelain cheeks and she looked over her shoulder. Aria stood there, her head down and fists clenched tightly by her side. Her body trembled as she struggled to keep the tears in. Leana laid the dress and corset down gently on the bed. Guilt plagued her, she had gone too far with her judgement. "Aria, teska, get dressed and let's put this fight behind us?"
Aria nodded curtly, and waited for her Princess to walk away before she undressed and fixed herself up. As a half-breed Aria considered herself lucky to be allowed into a royal position, most other half–breeds were spent doing hard labor. She had trained hard all of her life to protect and serve her Princess, that was her one purpose.
But was that all the she was meant for?
She often wondered if she was meant for something greater or at the very least different. She often wondered where she came from and who her parents had been. She was Fae, that part she knew, however the other parts of her? Where had they come from? She had no clue who she was. As she put the finishing touches to her hair and gown she drew in a breath. Mentally preparing herself for the King's council, she put on what the mortals would call her "game face" and walked out of the room and went to go find her Princess.