24

Blakes POV

-

I couldn't tell her, let her know everything. I screwed up, big time. I told her I was leaving in two weeks, when really it was two hours. I hate myself, and I hate that I had to leave her and my babies.

The hard as a rock mattress shakes beneath me as my drill sergeant, Ripper as he likes us to call him, marches his way down the stone floors. I'm not sure why he wants us to call him Ripper. I mean, we call him 'sir' when we need to, but he's pretty laid back for a drill sergeant. But not today.

It's as if small spirals of smoke are puffing out of his big ears, with his red face and veins popping out of his tense neck. We call him Dumbo behind his back, because of the size of his unnatural ears.

I instantly sit up, slide on my boots and fold the covers back on my bunk. I run forward to stand in line with the other recruits and stand at attention. He practically runs right past me, diving straight for Jacob Patterson. Jacob is not like most recruits. He's a little chubby, and he's never shot a gun before in his life. He always slacks back at training and he sneaks seconds in the mess hall. Ripper marches right up to him and stands inches from his face, a cruel snarl playing on his lips.

"Well now, Jacob. How are you doing this fine morning?" Ripper barks, spitting in Jacobs face.

Jacob flushes and hesitates before answering. "Sir, I'm doing great this morning, sir." He replys, a little unsteadily.

Ripper smirks, and pushes one of his thick fingers into Jacobs plump cheek. "Really? Well I'm not doing 'great this morning'. Care to explain to me why our security tapes caught you sneaking into one of the kitchens past curfew? And, on top of that, you were stealing. Which, by the way, is a federal crime!" Ripper yells into Jacobs flushed face.

Jacob looks down at his black shined boots, and Ripper grabs his chin and pushes it up, making him look Ripper in the eye.

"Look at me when I talk to you!" Ripper yells, Jacob flinching with every word.

Jacob had an easy life growing up. His parents are stinking rich, and the only reason he came to boot camp is because his parents own the place. But his parents can't save him from everything.

Jacob looks Ripper in the eye, glaring. It's as if he got a confidence boosting pep talk from his imaginary friend. He snarls back and licks his lips, as if he's about to dig into a huge plate of medium rare steak.

Jacob crosses his arms and looks directly into Rippers eyes. "Im going to tell my mom that you were being mean to me." He states, looking pleased with his response.

We are supposed to keep our head facing forward and to keep our traps shut, but with that remark some of us slipped up and let out a hushed chuckle. I grin to myself and try to let it pass, but the look on Rippers face is hilarious.

Ripper stutters before he answers, shocked that Jacob had said that to him. "You, you think I care that you're going to tell your mommy? Go home, go cry to mommy. I don't care, Patterson." Ripper spits, and walks away, dragging Jacob with him.

Well, I guess that's the last we'll see of him. We had this other recruit, Jonathan, and he acted the same as Jacob. He was chubby, and all he wanted was his mommy. He was a big baby. So Ripper drug him out of here and sent him packing. He made John walk all the way home, which was a week's trip on foot.

After Ripper and Jacob leave, everyone runs over to the some of the few windows in the bunker and watches Ripper drag Jacob, by his ear, to his mother and fathers house on base. It's a big, white house. In fact, it kinda looks like the white house.

Ripper marches right up to the door and bangs on it, and I can see Jacobs beet, red face all the way over here. His mother answers the door, her face twisted in a look that reads confusion. Her face lights up with what looks like anger, and strikes Jacob across the face. She drags him inside, and I see Ripper walk away with a small smirk plastered on his face.

Everyone runs out of the bunker and heads straight toward traning, but I hang back for a bit. I walk over to my bunk, and dig under my mattress for paper and a pencil. I lay myself on the ground so I'll have something to bear the pencil on, and the words spill out onto the paper before I contain them.

'Alexis. I'm sorry about everything. I really am. I miss you, I think about you and Ash and Ryder every day. Everyone in my squad knows about yall, too. I show them a picture with the four of us in it, and everyone is jealous. But I just want you to know that I love you, I really love you. I'm going to come back to you and our babies, I swear. I know this sucks, and I'm in a sucky person for not telling you sooner, and I'm sorry. Please forgive me.
Love,
Blake.

---
Hey guys! I hope you like this chapter! Ik it's kinda slow and boring, but I've had writers block. But ilygsm, and tysm for being so supportive! -Kaitlyn 💕