Chapter 3

Korra's P.O.V.

"Please, make yourself at home." Mako smiled cheerfully when he opened the doors for me. We entered the mansion. It seemed enormous from the outside, with all those beautiful gardens and swimming pools but when I got inside, I've felt myself shrinking. Does he live here all alone?

"Welcome back, Mr. Sann." One of the maids greeted us with a wide grin on her face. "Would you like to stay here overnight? Should we prepare a room for you two?" A room for two?!

"Umm... I don't think that will be necessary." I quickly answered instead of Mako. I hope I got her wrong. Mako glanced at the girl and she nodded, immediately giving us some space.

"I'm sorry about that. I don't want you to think of me as one of those rich people..."

"Relax, Mr. Sann. I don't think that you are one of those rich people." I repeated his words mockingly. "Otherwise, I wouldn't have come here." I added, looking around the mansion in amazement.

***

"Would you like a drink?" He asked, pouring red wine in one of the glasses.

"I don't drink but thanks for the offer." I replied, exploring the room. Despite the fact that the most of the house seemed modern, this only room was full of antique. If I had to work here, I would have burnt that big wooden table and replaced it with a more compact one. But some people enjoy living in a museum.

"Your wish is my command." Mako looked at me and then back at the glass he was holding. "So, what do you usually do... for fun?"

"I... I do... martial arts." I replied while kept staring at the collection of the meteor stones on a shelf that seemed like a bunch of expensive rocks to me.

"I feel sorry for anyone who tried to break your heart because you can totally break their face in return." I giggled in response. That's pretty accurate, I totally can.

"I guess that's the reason nobody's dated me before." I replied, getting distracted by a painting of a family hanging on the wall.

"Your dangerous personality is... attractive." He smirked and began to slowly move towards me, soon sitting next to me. Does this mean that he likes me?

Come on, Korra! How could he possibly learn that much about my personality in a few minutes that he could tell whether he liked me or not? It's a real world, not 'Cinderella'.

I noticed his hand slowly slide up my knee and looked at him, clearly confused. "I like you, Korra." He whispered and moved his head closer. I managed to dodge his lips at the last second. Just then I saw a silhouette next to the door. Soon the picture in front of me became clear. A woman around my age, but far more attractive than I, was staring at us in disbelief. I panicked and immediately pushed Mako back.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Her expression has changed quickly. Mako turned around and faced the stranger. "I was out for a few days and you decided to bring your sluts in my own house?! My own house! You're the lowest of the low!" She yelled and immediately turned around, leaving the two of us alone. There was no need for further explanation. I might have been dumb enough to follow a guy home whom I just met, but I knew who the woman was. Okay, I didn't actually know know her, but judging by her reaction I figured they were in a close relationship. And that he was just caught cheating... with me. I glanced at Mako but he avoided my stare.

"Ummm... I have to go home..." I tried to stand up but felt too weak. Mako grabbed my hand.

"It is late and too dangerous to walk alone. Want me to accompany you?" He offered, smiling. How can he be like this after being caught cheating? How can he be this calm?

"No, I'm fine. I've got this." I freed myself from his grip. My father used to tell me not to trust strangers and I should've considered his advice. Mako was being nice to me, but in fact he was just a jerk, who would've acted the same way around any girl. I'm so childish and naive. "Girl, let's go." Naga barked at Mako and ran after me. I left the mansion and didn't look back. I had no idea where I was and didn't know where I was headed either. I was chasing after Naga, hoping that she would've taken me home. Tears ran down my cheeks and I've felt huge pain in my heart. I was guilty and would've done anything to get rid of this feeling.

***

"Where have you been?" Tenzin asked as soon as I opened the door. "Republic City isn't a place for a young girl to have a walk at midnight..." He continued, hurriedly walking towards my direction. "I'm glad that you're okay." He sighed and glanced at Pema who also was awake.

"Oh... Tenzin." I interrupted, about to cry again.

"What happened, Korra? Are you hurt?" He came closer, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Tenzin." I whispered and moved away. "I can't talk to anyone right now." He simply nodded in answer. I ran towards 'my' room and fell on the bed. "Naga, why does bad stuff always happen to me?" The dog barked and began to lick my face. "Shhh... Don't wake others up." I whispered, cuddling my best friend and soon after I fell asleep.