Chapter 5

Asami's P.O.V.

"I'm so sorry." Korra gasped and got closer to me as fast as she could. "How are you feeling?" She added, looking concerned. 

"I will live." I shrieked, grabbing my stomach. I stared at Korra, terrified that I wasn't able to exhale back for some seconds. The picture in front of me started to blur and I was about to fall when Korra caught me. I got to admit, I wasn't sparring at my best. And despite the fact that Korra promised not to refrain, it was easy to understand that she was holding back.

"Inhale and exhale." Korra whispered. "You will be okay soon, can you hear me?" I nodded slightly, repeating the breathing exercise. "I'm sorry, Asami." I caught a glimpse of Korra's arms wrapped around me that kept me from falling. Her skin wasn't as pale as mine but I still noticed some dark bruises over it. I touched one of the wounds and Korra gasped in answer. "What are you doing?"

"What are these?" I looked at her confused, thinking whether it was okay for me to ask that question. These weren't ordinary bruises that people get from training too hard. 

"Bruises." Korra hesitated to answer and it was clear that she didn't want to talk about it. "Are you feeling better now?" I nodded and stood up, slowly and painfully getting back to my fighting stance. "Um... I think you've had more than enough punches for a day. Besides, we don't want to ruin that beautiful face of yours, do we?!" She added smirking and put on her hoodie. 

"Korra, it's time." We heard Toza's voice and turned around in unison. He was standing next to the door, proudly staring at his 'champion'. Did he see my ass get kicked by Korra? Well, of course he did... This is embarrassing. I've felt my cheeks getting hotter and stared back at Korra, whose smirk soon changed into a pout. 

"I have to go." Korra whispered and quietly followed after Toza. 

"See you around, Korra." I replied, meeting Korra's smile before she exited the room. 

Korra's P.O.V.

It's time for the Avatar to make her epic comeback. Come on, Korra! Just a few more fights and you will be able to pay off everyone you owe... Well, when I said that I was doing martial arts for fun, it wasn't completely true. Of course, I enjoy the only thing I've been doing since childhood. And that is exactly why I am travelling around the world... To learn more. But when I arrived in Republic City, I've met some people with not-so-bright past and learned about street fights. I needed to earn money for living and the easiest way to have salary was to do the job I was good at, even though it was not quite legal. I'm aware of what I'm risking but as long as I don't get caught, it's okay, right? Nobody knows about my 'hobby' except for Toza but he is the only person I can count on. Besides, he was the one who told me about this place, in the first place.

Whole my life, I was told that I was too wild, too intense, too strong, but during these fights I finally find place in the society where I belong.

I tied my hair back into a bun. "Make some noise for our champion!" I heard the man shout. "The Avatar!" The crowd started to roar in response to hearing that name. Calm down, Korra. I kept repeating to myself but my heart couldn't catch up with my thoughts. 

I remember when I stepped into the ring for the first time. I was scared but mostly I've felt confident, because I was fully in control of my power. The place where I could have shown my true potential and nobody would have judged me for it. Plus, I was earning some money. So what could have possibly gone wrong? I looked around the cheering crowd and spotted the familiar face. I could recognize Bolin's green eyes everywhere. My eyes widened as soon as I saw Mr. Smugface next to him. Do they know each other?

"Are you ready, Korra?" Toza asked. I nodded and walked towards the ring.

***

"Here's your cash." Toza put the money next to me and disappeared as soon as he appeared.

"Korra, you don't have to do this." I saw Bolin standing in the corner. "This isn't just a game. Many serious people earn lots of cash and my advice to you, don't stand in their way. You are going to get yourself harmed. This is too dangerous."

"So is talking to Mako. How do you know that jerk?" I asked counting the money.

"That jerk..." Bolin sighed. "...Mako is my brother and even though we don't talk much, we meet up sometimes. Family should always stick together, right?" How can Mako be Bolin's brother? "Sorry for hiding this from you, but I thought if you knew who my bro was, you would have thought the same thing about me too..." I would've never imagined that Bolin could've been related to someone like Mako. And Bolin being a brother to a jerk would've never defined him as such person too. I grinned and punched Bolin in the arm. He gasped in answer, caressing the hand. "If I may ask, how do you know him?"

"I don't wanna talk about that." I cut shortly. I didn't wish to be reminded of that day ever again.

"I'm so sorry for whatever he did." He replied and put his hand on my shoulder.

"No, that's okay. That's not your fault, obviously. I should have known better." I sighed and heard my stomach growl. "Should we go somewhere to eat? Let's visit our place down the street, I'm paying."

"So is it a date?" He asked smirking.

"Sure, it is." I answered, patting his head. "My friend."

"Dammit." Bolin sighed. "At least I get to eat free food." I've met Bolin that first day in Republic City, when Naga ate all the food in the shop and I realized that I didn't have a single yuan on me. Bolin paid for the food and rescued me from getting arrested, since then we are kind of best buddies.