Chapter 19

Korra's P.O.V.

"Famous businessman Mako Sann was sentenced to imprisonment up to nine years after his ex-fiancé-Asami Sato presented shocking evidence of him organizing and personally taking part in several different types of crime such as murder and blackmailing..." Serves him right... Switch.

"Bolin Sann officially takes over 'Fire Ferrets'! The company's collaboration with 'Future Industries' has ended but as trustworthy source says, the two CEOs plan on working together even if their alliance is not backed up by signed papers..." Switch.

"Asami Sato holds a fundraiser this Monday to help families starving in Ba Sing Se. The event will take place in 'Future Industries'' main..." Turn off.

"Zhu Li, what day is it today?" I asked, taking a sip of spiced tea that Zhu Li made for me.

"It's Monday, Korra." Zhu Li answered, opening the window. If it's Monday already, Asami's probably at her office preparing for the fundraiser. "Your health is in a better condition now which means my job here is done. Asami wanted to make sure you wouldn't have been alone when you've woken up. If you don't require any further assistance, I'd like to join Ms. Sato to help her with the said event." Zhu Li nodded about to leave.

"May I come with you?"

***

-A knock on the door-

"Zhu Li, come in." I heard Asami say as I opened the door of her office. She was staring at the fundraiser schedule for this evening, looking concerned. A long red dress she was wearing immediately caught my attention. I've never seen Asami in anything else but black and white. Emerald green earrings matched her eye color, remarking the absolute beauty of her face. "Good, you're here." She sighed without looking away from the papers. Just then I realized that I've been standing there creepily for a while now. "I need you to contact Varrick ASAP. Drinks haven't been delivered yet and we can't throw a decent after-party without it." Asami continued as she leaned on the desk.

"Hey..." I whispered, shyly playing with my hair. Asami slowly shifted focus from the list to me. "Looking good." I blushed and looked away, trying to avoid her intense gaze.

"Korra..." Her eyes brightened up. "You are okay." She rushed towards me, embracing me in a tight hug. I nodded and buried my face deeply in the scent of her soft hair. "I was so scared that you weren't going to make it." She pulled away, carefully grabbing my hand.

"Asami..." I whispered, looking down at our hands and then back at her. With no further hesitation, I decided to tell her the reason I wanted to see her so badly. "I came here to tell you that being on the verge of death made me realize something..." Please, don't make it sound weird, Korra. Please! "Oh, spirits... I'm no good at this." I giggled nervously, feeling my cheeks getting redder.

"What is it, Korra?" Asami chuckled too, holding my hand tighter.

"Erm... What I'm trying to say is..." I hesitated seeing her blush even harder than me. Come on. Just say it, Korra! "I... I love you, Asami." I've felt myself run out of air and the only thing I could concentrate on was her lips. Asami noticed me longing and shortened the distance between us.

"I love you, too." She whispered, smile flickering at the edge of her lips. I closed my eyes and moved head closer, gently pressing my lips against hers.

***

"...And I gathered you here to discuss a rather important matter." Asami continued, standing next to the tribune. "The events of the past month involving me and you, citizens of Republic City, are a clear indication that our beloved capital is still in crisis... Republic City is unique. There is no other place where so many disparate groups and traditions come together to live as one. But Republic City is only in its infancy and too often our differences become a source of conflict. After Avatar Aang passed away, this city has fallen in the hands of criminals terrorizing our home and we as a society have failed to prevent that from happening. I perfectly understand that peace and harmony won't come overnight and there is yet much to be done to achieve that goal... Our path is far from certain... But I ask of you to put aside our differences because it'll take all of us supporting one another to fight the forces of corruption that seek to throw our lives into chaos! I ask of you to unite our strength to help starving sons and daughters of Ba Sing Se!" Audience started to applause as Asami ended her speech and the spokesman took over.

"You were amazing back there." I whispered as Asami sat down next to me. She blushed and turned around looking terrified. Who would've thought that a famous public figure like her would've been so afraid of public speeches. I chuckled, slowly grabbing her hand.

"I'm honored to announce that yet another short-film directed by world-famous Iknik Blackstone Varrick will premiere tonight. The documentary's about life in Lower Ring of Ba Sing Se. Enjoy." The spokesman bowed as lights went off and the film started to run on the big screen.

"These refugees..." I whispered, caressing Asami's hand. "They had to flee their home in hopes of a better future and even though they found shelter in Ba Sing Se, they still have nothing. They're almost desperate yet they smile every time camera's pointed at them." I sighed, not looking away from the screen.

"Most of the refugees, they didn't arrive in Ba Sings Se alone... They left their houses but they brought their home with them. They don't have money but they don't need it either. They manage to smile because after everything they've been through they still have something... someone to live for." I turned to face Asami when noticed that she was already staring at me. I blushed and moved closer, resting my head on her shoulder.

The End.

A/N: Woah, you guys! It's been one hell of a journey. Thanks for staying with me till the very end even though it took me almost a century/2 years to finish writing (2017-2019). I had a huge writer's block and nothing I wrote felt worthy of publishing. Don't be shy to comment your thoughts below and maybe even suggest what I should write about next.