Chapter 3: The Revival of Her Soul

I picked up one of the tea cups, and poured myself some hot tea. I lifted the cup to feel the steam roll around my cheeks, then flow out into the cold room. 

"How dare you speak to your father that way? You ungrateful brat!" My mother shouted, a shocked expression on her face, mouth agape. 

"I'm practically an adult, mother." I spat out that last word like venom. "I don't need some old hag calling me a brat. Besides, you don't even act like a mother. You were gone most of my life. It's too late to try and control me." I said as a matter-of-fact, and crossed my arms. 

"Go to your room!" My father's loud voice bounced off the walls, making my ears ring for a couple of seconds. 

"No thank you, Dad." I said, taking a sip of my tea. There was no way in hell I was going to let them rule over this day. I might be going along with this horrid marriage, but I wasn't willing to put up with their crap. 

My mother stood up, and back-handed me across the face, making me spill my tea on the beautifully cleaned white carpet. I sat there shocked, gold eyes wide. My left cheek was stinging from the pain, and I slowly lifted my hand up to it. I could feel the heat radiating off of it. I looked up at her, and I could see the anger flooded across her face. I was in trouble, now . . .