➳ 10

Cara's face lit up when Dylan's popped up on the screen, his smile mirroring her own. Cara stared for a moment, her eyes wide. Dylan O'Brien was skyping her; the same Dylan O'Brien that portrayed on of her favourite fictional characters on TV.

"Hey," Dylan spoke after a moment of silent staring.

"Sorry," Cara laughed, "I'm in shock― I never thought I'd get the opportunity to talk to anyone from Teen Wolf besides Shelley," Dylan chuckled, dragging his hand through his hair.

"And here I thought you were left speechless by my good looks,"

"Oh, look at that, I'm suddenly less shocked," She rolled her eyes, but smiled nevertheless.

"That hurts, Brooks. That hurts," He clutched his hand over his heart, frowning playfully at the screen.

"You're such a goof," She snorted, brushing her hair behind her ears.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment," He said, "Shelley is staring at me from the doorway. I'm scared,"

"Fuck off, Shelley!" Cara yelled, just as the door behind her slammed open.

"Are you talking to Shelley?" Her sister inquired as she clambered onto Cara's bed, falling back against the pillows with a sigh. She took a look at the screen. "Is that Dylan O'Brien? Why are you skyping Dylan O'Brien? How are you skyping Dylan O'Brien?"

"We're friends, Moony. Friends Skype each other," Dylan answered for her, "I've got to go, Brooks. Have to go film a scene,"

"Have fun. Make sure Stiles doesn't get hurt or I'll hurt you," Cara smiled threateningly at the screen, "Talk to you later, goofball,"

"Talk to you later."

Cara turned off her laptop, unable to get rid of the smile that lasted the whole conversation, whilst Moony sat beside her in silence, admiring her freshly painted nails with pursed lips. "Did you want anything?" Cara asked her baby sister. Moony's blue eyes met Cara's hazel ones, and she nodded.

"Spencer's here," She said, "He's here to help move the last of your stuff," She gestured at the boxes collected in the corner of the room.

"Oh shoot!" Cara jumped up from her bed, racing across the room to her shoe rack. She'd forgotten about Spencer in her excitement of finally talking to Dylan. She hoped he hadn't been waiting too long for her ― how could she have forgotten about him so easily? Spencer was Spencer. The very Spencer she was moving in with today. How could she have forgotten something as important as that?

With her shoes on, Cara leaned across her bare bed to press a kiss to Moony's cheek. "Come on, kid. Grab a box." She smirked, then turned to fetch one of the boxes herself. Her Mother walked in just as she was about to leave the room, and she gave Cara a tearful smile before picking up one of the boxes herself. Cara knew that there were a thousand words that her Mother wanted to repeat to her right now. Be careful. Are you sure you're ready to move in with him? Absolutely sure? Have you packed everything? I love you. Words that Cara had spent the last two weeks listening to as she packed up her belongings into cardboard boxes, leaving her bedroom a bare room to house the ghost of who she used to be. Because no longer was she the Cara Brooks that still lived at home, three years after dropping out of University at age 20. Now, she was the Cara Brooks that was moving in with her boyfriend. 

And so, today, Daphne Brooks would keep her mouth closed, because Cara knew that she didn't want to smother her. Just like she knew that the second her and Spencer's cars disappeared around the corner, she would climb the stairs and walk down the hall to Cara's old room, and she'd sit there for a long while, maybe even cry; just like she did when Cara's brother left, or when Cara's father walked out the front door shortly after Moony's birth. And whilst it might not be permanent, Cara knew that her Mother felt like she was saying goodbye to her today.

Her Mother was an idiot, but she loved her anyway.

"What took you so long?" Spencer asked when he spotted her exiting the house, taking the box out of her hand when she got close enough for him to do so. He turned, putting the box into the open trunk of his jeep.

"I was skyping Dylan," She answered honestly. She wasn't going to lie to him, didn't see the point. They were going to be living together. There wasn't room for any secrets, especially not in his tiny apartment.

"That's your cousin Shelley's friend, right?" He turned again, wrapping his arms around Cara's middle with a smile. Cara nodded, smiling back at him. "We're moving in together," He said, pressing a kiss to her lips.

"Yes, we are."

---