➳ 59

"Hey babe. I've just got home and I'm about to get ready for bed. I can't wait to see you nex―."

"I can'tI can't be with you any more, Cara."

"What?" Cara lowered herself onto her bed, her free hand curling around her comforter. "I don't― We're going to London next week, Dylan."

"That's why I thought it would be best to just do it now. I saw a photo of you kissing that guy at the bar, and I wanted to believe that it wasn't true. That it was a lie. But, you have a habit of kissing other guys when you're in a relationship. It's what started ours."

"Are you really throwing my past mistakes in my face right now? We've talked about this. I would never cheat on you. Not you― You know how terrible I felt that I cheated on Spencer."

"I'm not throwing your past mistakes into your face. Unless you count a few hours ago as your past. Because Cara, that was most definitely you kissing another guy against that bar."

She froze for a moment, her eyes wide and tearful as she stared at the photo of her and Dylan on her bedside table. "Are you― are you having me followed or something?" She whispered, looking up just as Paisley entered their shared room, since the apartment had only been meant for her and Thea when Cara moved in.

"No. But, there was someone at the bar who recognised you. They sent me a photo. I hope it was worth it."

"Dylan― Dylan, please let me explain. It wasn't like that―."

"Don't bother."

When he hung up, Cara wasn't sure what hurt most. The fact that she just lost the man of her dreams, or how broken he sounded when he told her not to bother.

That night was the first night Cara Brooks cried herself to sleep for a long time, with Paisley's arms curled around her, telling her that it was all going to be okay. Just like she always did.

---