Chapter Thirteen

It took almost an hour to cross to the Beach district, due to traffic, an accident, and then a broken traffic signal. But he dropped her at the beginning of the road noted on the business card.

                “Good luck!” he shouted as he drove off. She merely waved a response. Now she was here Marina was suddenly very nervous.

It took fifteen minutes to find the address; it was a second floor apartment in a three story building. Some of the buildings in the street were old, run down, but this one was modern and clean, she worked out that the apartments probably overlooked the sea.

Taking a deep breath she knocked the door. She wasn’t sure if she wanted him to be there or not, she was so nervous. Rejection was something she couldn’t even contemplate.

There was no answer, she was just about to leave, and accept the seemingly doomed hand of fate, when she heard him call her name, “Marina!”

She turned slowly; Nathan stood at the end of the hall, wearing only a pair of running shorts and shoes. It took her a moment to drink in the sight of his bare chest liberally spattered with dark damp hair, his beautiful calves; she thought she saw the sign of a scar on his right thigh. She managed to drag her eyes up to look at his face, it was damp with perspiration, and his hair hung damp around  his bare shoulders, and saw the delight he was trying to hide, it was the sign she needed, and it spurred her on.

                 “I couldn’t let it end like that. I really wanted to talk to you.” When he nodded, and she continued, “do we have to do this on the doorstep?”

Reaching for the mat he pulled a key out from underneath and clicked open the door. Following him into the apartment she looked around in amazement. It was perfectly decorated, pale neutral sofas on hardwood floor, a large wall mounted TV, to her right a modern brand new kitchen. It seemed very unlike Nathan, she’d imagined some sort of man cave, but this was a classy home.

                “How did you find me?” he asked kicking off his shoes, and throwing them into a cupboard near the door.

She held out the business card, “just happened to see it on my Dad’s desk. If I hadn’t I wouldn’t have come here. Seemed like a sign.”

                “That? It was on your father’s desk?” suddenly he felt a little anxious.

She nodded, “by the phone, think it was there because he knew I was in Vegas with you.”

He gulped trying to hide his nervousness, “ahh. Do you mind if I just take a quick shower? I waited until later to run, but it’s still hot as hell out there.” When she nodded, he added, “There’s OJ in the refrigerator, or snacks in the cupboard.” When he saw her looking around he laughed, “or you can just investigate?”

Giving a beaming grin she nodded, “I’d like that!”

Marina wandered through the lounge to the glass doors that looked out on to a small veranda with a sensational view of the Pacific. A small table and two chairs sat next to some pretty flower filled pots, and a small barbeque. The whole place was just perfect!

                “Drink?” he called from in the lounge behind her. He was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts, his hair wet from the shower.

                “Got any Coke? I feel like being naughty.” When she turned to walk inside he was staring eyes wide with shock. Chuckling she added, “I meant diet coke not cocaine!” She loved how easy he was to wind up.