Chapter Twenty

Alex was jumping up and down in the swarms of people crowding around the arrivals hall as Marina made her way through the automatic doors. The journey had been liberating considering she’d barely travelled out of the sleepy town since she’d arrived all those months ago.  The sight of his bobbing head was enough to turn her into a jabbering mess. Pushing her overloaded luggage cart to one side, she jumped into his arms, wrapping both arms and legs around him and peppering his face with dozens of kisses.

                “Marina!” he almost sobbed into her ear, “I did wonder if you’d been killed, the bloody FBI wouldn’t tell me anything! You have NO idea what it’s been like.”

Marina smiled through a veil of tears, “I know! It’s been hell, but it had to be done. I have so much to tell you,” she sighed.

                “All in good time,” he deposited her on the floor and held her at arm’s length, “you look well, but Heidi and her mother have been cooking, you know what that means, don’t you?”

Her eyes lit up, “how many different strudels?”  His mother-in-law’s fruit strudels were legendary around those parts.

                “At least five, a kitchen full anyway!” He started to lead her out of the airport, but then stopped and pulled her into his arms again. “God I’ve missed you kid!”

The journey to his mountain retreat took about an hour, and en route they talked about the weather, the kids, fairly neutral topics, she’d fill them in on all that happened once the children were in bed. She’d only have to repeat it all for Heidi later.  It was a cold day, but she’d dressed for that, and his huge chain wheeled truck made light work of the icy hills. Soon the beautiful house was visible on the horizon.

Heidi was an Amazonian built German woman, blonde, blue eyed and absolutely beautiful, she and Alex made a perfect couple, he was complimentary to that, tall, dark and elegant looking, they were a stunning sight together. And after another round of hugs, they flanked her as they led her into the house. The children were in school until the afternoon, so the three of them with coffee and a late brunch sat around the dining table and Marina filled them in on everything. She’d briefly explained the DUI at the time, and had spoken to Alex when her father was arrested, but after that it was all a bit of a blur.

                “So the DUI school, the chaperone was set up by the FBI?” Heidi asked, her mouth open in surprise.

Marina shook her head, “unfortunately I walked into that one. A complete coincidence I was drugged, my drink spiked, and that’s a story in itself, but it gave the FBI an in, and they took it.”

Alex laughed, “Marina you’ve never done anything by half have you? Saying that drink driving is SO unlike you, I have to say I was really surprised.”

She nodded, “at least before Dad was apprehended Nathan, the FBI guy managed to catch the people who drugged me. So I was cleared of the DUI, my record is clean.”

Heidi was contemplative, “isn’t that crazy, how it all came together like that? I bet this FBI guy couldn’t believe his luck!”

Marina immediately blushed, Alex missed the flush completely, but Heidi gave a knowing smile that only made Marina blush more. Storing that snippet, Heidi listened as Marina went on to explain about the confessions of her father. By now Alex had been made of his mother’s actual end, but to hear it again, through Marina’s lips opened wounds for them both. Heidi left them both to grieve together; they’d never had the chance before.

A little later Alex went to collect seven year old Astrid and six year old Max from school, and it was then that Heidi pounced.