Rerouted

Mikey sat. He had spent half his time dolling himself up and the other half checking his watch. He had checked every traffic update. He had gone over everything he could say. Conversation topics, witty comebacks, all covered.
"I'll pick you up," Aston had texted. "Expect to be there around 7:30." Mikey paced his living room. He had his mind on every little thing about Ashton.
7:27
He paced some more. What did Ashton really think about Mikey? What was this all for? Could he be joking? Was this all some sick joke?
7:28
No. Ashton loved him. Ashton adored him just as much as Mikey did. Ashton would take a bullet for Mikey. Ashton dreamed of Mikey before the two even met.
7:29
Mikey was a mess. He was a groomed up mess. He had no control over himself. He didn't think he could do this. No. He had to cancel.
7:30
Fuck.
The doorbell rang.

•          •          •

Ashton pulled up to the restaurant.
"We're here." He said cheerfully. Mikey opened the car door. He looked up to see a sushi bar much fancier than he had imagined.
"You really went all out, didn't you?" Mikey said.
"Only the best for you, dear." Ashton said soothingly. They walked inside, and were immediately conflicted.
"Hi, reservations?" The hostess asked them both. Mikey looked at Ashton. He looked just as lost as Mikey.
"Reservations? I don't believe we made any." Ashton said without looking at Mikey. "What can we get if we make them now?"
"Let's see," the hostess looked at her monitor. "I can put you in for March 13th."
"March? But it's September!" Ashton said, obviously he didn't know what he had gotten himself into.
"You can make a reservation, or not. Either way, you can't eat here tonight." The hostess said clearly. Ashton and Mikey moped out of the restaurant.
"God, Mikey, I'm so sorry to let you down like this."
"It's no big deal! It's still early, let's just grab a bite somewhere else where we don't have to make dumb reservations."
Ashton turned towards Mikey. "Sure," he said, slightly more cheerful, "Your pick."
Mikey thought. "I could go for some In n Out."

•             •             •

And they had an amazing date. They stayed in the fast food restaurant for an hour and a half, in suits and dress shoes. They spent their time telling stories of their favorite moments of their concerts, debating on which condiments were superior, and flicking french fries into each other's mouths. They laughed, they talked, they connected.
"Ugh, I'm stuffed." Ashton said.
"Same here," Mikey responded, "Thanks again for the wonderful date, Ash."
"Any time." Ashton and Mikey stood up and walked to the car.
"And thanks for driving me. It's nice of you to drop me off at my house."
"Oh?" Ashton turned towards Mikey with a smirk. "Who said I was just dropping you off?"