Chapter 5

I was in the forest and it was a beautiful day. The sun was shining through the leaves making the landscape glow. Some birds were chiriping on the trees. Everything was so peaceful.
I was alone but I didn't felt lonely. Walking near the river, something caught my attention to the water.
I leaned over to see my reflexion staring back at me. Something was wrong, because... she was different. She looked exactly like me but her eyes were full of malice and she had an mischievous grin on her face.
"Hello, Alina. Don't you want to look at what have you done?" she spoke with a mocking voice.
I looked around and saw Mal standing near me. I froze. He was looking normal, without any sign of wound or blood. But as my reflexion he had that evil look in his blue-sky eyes.
"That's right, Alina" Mal said. "You've already killed me. Don't you want to look at your murdered friends? They still don't understand why the Sun Summoner chose to kill them too."
Mal came closer and I stood still. He put his hand on my arm "Don't you?"
I stepped back.
"No, you are not real" I whispered. "You are not Mal."
He wanted to make another step toward me but then he fell. I caught him before he could touch the ground.
"Mal?" I asked hesitantly.
I rolled him on the grass and then I saw his eyes. They were like that day on the Fold. Lifeless.
"No!" I screamed. "Not again!"
I shook him hoping he will recover.
"Please, I...I can't do this again" I said through crying hiccups.
I looked around for help but all I could see were some silhouettes hanging on a tree. My friends. Not blinking, not speaking, not breathing, but still looking at me.
"No!" I screamed again falling into the darkness.

"Alina!" The Darkling shouted near me.
I was in his room. Some black sheets were on the floor and outside was dark. I stared at him for two seconds trying to convince myself that he was real. The nightmare came into my mind and I started to cry without knowing.
He brushed some tears from my face but I was already crying with sobs.
He took me in his arms hesitantly, then he layed on his back. I was sitting with my head on his chest but I haven't protested.
"I...I'm sorry. I haven't know I was such a crier" I said.
"Shhh" he whispered ranning his fingers through my hair.
His scent invaded my mind calming me. I sleept peacefuly in the rest of the night.

***

I woke up with a massive headache. I was dizzy and when Genya came I haven't even get out of bed.
"What are you doing?" she asked frustrated. "You should have been already dressed."
I rolled on the bed to face her. Only Genya could look perfect at any hour. Her red hair was caught in a bun and it was matching with her kefta. In her golden eyes was an unpatient look. When she saw me her face fell.
"Oh, are you feeling alright?" she asked concerned.
I sighed. "I have a headache."
"I'm going right now to search a healer." she was halfway to the door when I stopped her.
"Genya" I called "I don't need a healer. It's just a headache." I pulled the sheets off of my body. "I'm getting up and we're going to do...all we have to do for today" I said.
I tried to get up but when I stood on my feet I almost fell. Genya caught me.
"Yeah, I can see you are perfectly fine" she put me back in bed rolling her eyes.
"I'm a little dizzy, it's not a problem."
She ofered me a frustrated yet caring look. "Alina, stop trying to do everything. I'll bring a healer."
"But..." I protested.
"No discussing" she cut me off "Wait here. I'll be back soon."
After the healer left I felt better and I wanted to get out of bed but Genya insisted not to. I haven't argued with her. It was pointless. She brought me some food and stayed with me a little before she had to leave.
I stared at the ceiling. I hadn't anything to do because Genya canceled all my duties.
I rolled on the other side. After some moments I saw the door opening and the Darkling entered.

Darkling's POV
I knew she wasn't feeling well. I felt it through our connection. Plus, her friend was rushing all day to find a perfect healer.
She probably protested at the ideea of a healer, I thought with a half smile on my face. After I realised what I was doing I shook my head. I was thinking of her. Again.
I tried to focus on my work. There was much to do. A kingdom doesn't rule by itself.
I walked through the throne room and stopped for a moment. The two thrones were shining in the evening light. Two thrones to avoid the immortal loneliness.
After I finished with the paperwork my mind flew at her again. The memory of her body in my hands was flashing through my mind. She smelled like sunlight and summer breeze. And she was scared. I saw it in her eyes. I knew she needed someone who can trust, a friend, but I can fool myself to think she needed me.
Why can't Alina leave my thoughs alone?
I hate how she can have this power over me. She can play with my demons so easily, like it's all just a game.
And she is doing this right now, I thought when I entered the bedroom.
She was sitting on the bed covered in black sheets. I walked into the room and sat on a chair next to her. She was watching me cautiously.
"How are you feeling?" I asked
"Better" she said shifting uncomfortably.
I could tell she was bored. She stayed the whole day inside because of Genya. An ideea was forming in my head.
"Will you even get out of bed for today?" I said with an intentional mocking tone.
She stared questioningly at me.
"I wanted to but Genya almost ordered me not to. She canceled all my chores" she said bored.
"Would you like to come out?" I asked suddenly, surprising her and myself. I really don't recognize myself anymore.
I looked into her eyes. She gazed back at me. I could read her easily. She wanted to go outside. But not with you. She hates you, she will always...
"Yes" she finally said.
Maybe I lost my mind afterwards

Yay! Another fluffy chapter! I know my story hasn't much action yet. Just wait for it. It will happen soon.
I wanted to try something new and the Darkling's POV sounded interesting. And it mached right there. Let me know what do you think about it in the comments.

Love,
from Annie