Chapter 16

I got up from my chair with my hands prepared to summon light.
A warning glare was enough to keep the Apparat in his place when he wanted to come closer to me.
"I wouldn't do that, preist."
He smiled with all his yellow teeth. The smell of grave and his image was enough to make my stomach turn upside down.
"I see you're doing better since last time I saw you, Sankta Alina"
The hint was clear, but I haven't entered in his challenge.
"What do you want?" I asked directly.
"Just to talk" he grinned wickedly, offering me an unwelcomed view of his black gums. "People are confused, some of them are hopeless or angry. But you know what they have in common?"
I haven't replied, not wanting to be a part of his game.
"They are all asking the same question. Why their saint abandoned them?"
"I haven't." I know I was lying myself.
"Really? Then what have you done in those weeks?"
Nothing. I can't do anything. Yet.
"You came here, in the middle of the palace, just to tell me how many people I have disappointed and how shameful I lost this battle?"
His eyes flicker with that lunatic sight.
"Things may still be fixed."
"How?"
"Come with me. An army is already rising without its leader"
I looked at him suspicious. An army of humans against nichevo'ya. Wet and cold tunnels. My friends can't remain here. A lost cause.
"No."
"Have you already changed your mind so quickly? You don't want to fight anymore?"
Another smile appeared on his face.
"What would Mal say about all of this?"
I felt my temper rising at the mention of his name. Inside I was a storm but on the outside my face was cold, emotionless.
"Don't you dare to use his name" I said with my voice low and threatening. "Or you will end in pieces."
His grin faded a little.
I made a step toward him.
"Go away and stop convincing people to fight for a lost cause. I know what I have to do."
He looked amused at first. Then on his face appeared that fanatic look again.
"You can't do anything alone"
My mind repeated some of my memories over and over again. A little girl in the light of a candle looking at the moon from a window because she couldn't sleep. A little girl lost in a forest because her friend saw something interesting and left her behind. A lonely little girl.
"I have always been alone."
The Apparat started walking to a hidden door. I watched him without saying anything else.
"Soldat Sol are almost prepared to attack the palace. You can still join us"
I shook my head.
"If you know what's best for you, for everyone, don't do that. It's a death sentence. Men against nichevo'ya."
He smiled.
"Not just men"
With that the Apparat disappeared into the shadows.

***

They will attack the palace. It was insane to think they'll have even the slightest chance to win. Or to remain alive.
I made my way through the corridors, not exactly knowing where I was going. The light was coming from the windows making the hall look calming and peaceful.
Someone cleared his throath behind me, interrupting my thoughts.
"The king request your presence" a guard spoke.
I left a sight. I've had a bad feeling about this.
I was escorted by the guard back to the Darkling's chambers. He remained near the doors.
I entered without knocking. Suddenly, all my air dissapeared from my lungs and I was left without words as I took in the view in front of me.
Nadia was on the floor, her face sinked in tears. Beside her was Adrik who was trying to look as brave as possible. There was a corporalki too, his hands were holding his ribs and one of his eyes was inflated. They were surrounded by guards. And in front of them was the Darkling, not even bothered to stand up from his chair.
"What is this?" I asked, my calm starting to fade quickly.
"You tell me. The guards found them trying to sneak in here." He remained inexpresive on the outside, but I could feel the anger coming from him in waves.
I looked around panicked. Oh, Nadia... I told her to have patience. Somehow I knew one of them was going to try again, but I thought they would have given me some time.
"What were you trying to do?" he asked Nadia.
She remained silent, her face was red but she stopped crying. Instead she looked more brave than a few moments ago.
At a sign of the Darkling's hand, a guard punched Adrik. Nadia winched as she tried to escape from another guard's grip.
"I'll ask you again. What were you doing in here?"
Nadia opened her mouth to speak but Adrik cut her off.
"It was my ideea to sneak in here. She and Dominic tried to stop me." Even if his lower lip was trembling and his voice cracked I still admired his courage.
The Darkling's eyebrow raised analyzing Adrik. He must be as surprised as me.
For a moment everyone was silent. Then he finally got up from his chair.
"Let me guess. You wanted to take me by surprise and kill me. All alone." He was now looking at Nadia. "With no help at all."
She made a sound of protest but Adrik just noded.
"Then take him to execution" Nadia started to cry again, fighting harder to escape. I had to do something before it was too late.
"And because I feel kind today you can watch your friends tortured for helping a traitor. I will leave them alive. But I can't say the same thing about you."
The guards started to take them from the floor. Nadia was crying, the other grisha, Dominic, had a defeaded expresion on his face and Adrik...
Adrik was relieved. Relieved because his sister will live. That scared me the most.
"Stop!" I was desperate. The guards acted like they couldn't hear me.
I turned to The Darkling, but it was like I was looking at nothing. His face was inexpresive, untouched by anything. In his eyes was a mute challenge. He wants me to plead for their lives. He wants me to bow. But I will not. Never.
I raised my chin a little, accepting the challenge.
"Stop it." My voice was cold and demanding.
His eyes flicker with amusement at my attemtp.
"And why would I do that?"
"Because it is my fault." It took me a few seconds to reply but he noticed the hesitation.
"Not this time, Alina"
One movement of his hand and the guards started to leave with my friends. My friends.
I raised my hands. The chair where he was standing earlier was now in pieces.
"Stop it" I said again.
He sighed.
"I'm sick of these games. You don't have the right to tell me what to do, Alina."
My fury was coming to surface.
"Yes, I do"
I saw him getting angrier. Then, just like there hasn't been anything, he smiled coolly as if he found the perfect solution.
He came closer and I fought with the urge to make some steps back.
"No, you don't. But if you were a queen..." he made a pause intentionally. "You can talk to me like that if you are a queen. My queen."
My reply was quick.
"No"
Instead of seeing him inexpresive again, I watched as his smile was growing. Not in a good way.
"You want them to live. I don't think you have any other options." My face was inches away from his.
Suddenly, I was feeling like I have just lost a game and thrown into a cage. Check mate.
"I..."
We all make our sacrifices.
"You will let them live. Unharmed."
A victorious grin was forming on his face.
"As you wish"
I sighed in defead. Another lost battle.
"Then I accept."

So long since I upload the last chapter. I'm sorry!
Fortunately, in the time I wasn't writing, some ideeas came into my mind so it will be easier for me to put them on paper.

Also, a huuuuge thank you for reading my story even if I don't write very often.
And thank you calutulIoana3 for supporting me even when I say that my writing is horrible/boring/shitty/etc

(Sorry for the cliffhanger)

Love you all,
Annie