Chapter 12

When I arrived at the ballroom it was already late. The oprichniki nodded in my direction and opened the doors.
Everyone turned their heads at me. The only sound was from the orchestra.
The room was incredible. Shining chandeliers were hanging from the ceiling, and their jewels looked like stars. The room was sinked in dark and the only light was coming from some sort of globes. The entrance, the middle of the room and the throne were more lightened than the other spaces. The whole room looked like the night sky brought on earth and some of the globes seamed to float through the air.
I finnally met his gaze. He was standing on the throne, leaned back with his legs crossed. The golden designs on his kefta were shining and his slate cold eyes were burning mine. Looking like a men ment to rule.
I walked down the stairs in everyone's stares. When I reached the end of them The Darkling was already there, offering me his hand.
"Dance with me?" he said sounding more like a whispered demand.
I hesitated. What if I say no? Another part of my mind responded. But what if you dance with him?

I banished that thoughts and took his hand. He lead me to the middle of the room.
When the song started he put one hand around my waist and the other hand was holding mine.
The music was soft and he danced so well that I felt myself almost flying. His grip tightened around me and I heard his whisper in my ear.
"You look gorgeous."
"Thank you" I replied politely without looking into his eyes. It's better that way. The other part of my mind chose to speak again. But don't you want to look? His eyes are so...
I sighed frustrated in my mind.
Just don't do it. This dance will finish quickly. But I already wasn't listening.
I looked up. Once again, in his eyes was a distant flame that seemed to grow when my gaze met his and I found myself not wanting to look away.
He smiled. That innocent smile again. My heart ache.
"Why are you smiling?" I asked him.
"Because the first song finished" he made a pause to spin me. "And you are still dancing with me." I haven't even realised.
He pulled me closer.
"I can make you forget all your problems, all your friends and even that otkazat'sya" he said in my ear "until you will think only of me."
No.
Yes.
"Only if you'll let me." His fingers were playing on my back.
Think about your friends. They need you. They trust you. You can't betray them.
But it isn't betrayal if that's what I want.
Is it what I want?
My thoughs were rushing through my head.
He is a monster. He used you before. He will do it again without hesitation.
But he...
Before I could respond I saw something with the corner of my eye. An arrow.
I raised a shield of light around us without thinking. The arrow's ashes were now on the ground.
Everyone was panicked when the room went completly dark.
I light up everything without wasting any second seeing some silhouettes battling against others.
Suddenly, I fell to my knees. My heart was aching and my vision was blurry, but I still managed to see that Heartrender girl who was with me on that day when I spoke with the new Grisha. She was approaching.
I lifted one hand trying to burn her, but I only succeed to make her kefta smoke. I was too weak.
But then, the pain stopped. In front of me her pieces were on the ground. I looked away around the room. Some people were angry but most of them were confused. The enemy was nowhere to be found. A single fjerdan was dead near a Grisha who was smirking mischievous.
The Darkling helped me to get up.
"Everyone back in your rooms. The party is over" he said for the whole room.

***

Darkling's POV
I was sitting on my throne waiting for her. The party was boring, full of gossiping and nobles who wanted more attention.
The fjerdan ambassador was talking to a lady with too much jewels on her. I wanted to keep an eye on him since that incident in the forest. As sensing my gaze he turned his head in my direction. After some moments he came in front of me and bowing he said "Darkling, what a pleasure to meet you."
I just nodded.
"I understand you wanted to spoke with each representant?" he asked.
"Yes. After the party you will be escorted to the war room" I made a pause intentionally. "I would like to discuss about some alliances."
His smile faded a little, but he recovered quickly.
"Of course..."
He was interupted by the sound of the doors opening. Everyone went silent staring at Alina.
She was dressed in black and when she moved the material of her dress looked like shadows covering her. Her white hair was caught in a bun and her eyes sparkled when they saw the room. She looked ravishing. And like a real queen.
The fjerdan's eyes widened when he saw her and an unwelcomed wave of anger hit me.
I raised from the throne and went to the end of the stairs.
"Dance with me?" I asked her while offering my hand.
I know she was considering it. For a moment I thought she would decline but then she took my hand.
We danced for I don't know how long. She was looking anywhere but not into my eyes and I was surprised when she finally met my gaze.
She was beautiful. All my life I have been lying about so many things but perhaps that's the only I can't lie about. After some moments I found myself unable to look away from her.
When the song finished I smiled.
"Why are you smiling?" she asked confused.
"Because the first song finished" I spinned her gently "and you are still dancing with me."
I know she hasn't realised.

I was in the war room. Everyone was there except the fjerdan ambassador.
I waited and waited feeling my patience dissapearing slowly and then I heard a light knock at the door.
"Come in" I said.
An oprichniki entered the room.
"Moi soverenyi, the fjerdan ambassador has left the palace."
My anger was rising again but I managed to remain calm at the surface.
I nodded. "You may leave."
After he left I turned to the others.
"Has any of your country made an alliance recently?" I asked studying them.
No one flinched, no one looked suspicious.
"No" they said.
One of them hesitated.
"What do you know?" I asked him.
"Nothing. They're just rumors." he said not even looking at me.
"Tell me" I demanded.
He flinched at the low tone of my voice.
"I heard people say that Fjerda made an alliance with some Grisha and soldiers who have a sun painted on their faces."
I nodded again.
"The meeting is over. You may leave" I said.

I made my way to my chambers. The palace was more quiet than usual.
So Fjerda is now allied with the Apparat. And not to forget some Grisha traitors.
I arrived at the door and my heart stopped for a second. The guards were dead on the ground.
I hurried to the bedroom.
It was dark but I still could see Alina sleeping peacefully covered in black sheets.
I haven't know I was holding my breath until a relieved sigh escaped from my mouth.
I passed one hand through my hair and then something caught my eye.
A knife was holding a piece of paper in the bed's wood. I read the words on it.
"If you think you won Ravka then you're wrong. We know your weakness now. Her."

Done! Sorry for posting it so late! Hopefully, you'll appreciate that this chapter is longer than the previous one :)
Let me know what do you think about the story in the comments. I'm curious about your opinions.

See you next time,
Annie