Chapter 6

I didn't know what I was doing. I really wanted to go outside but not with him. Not. With. Him.
Aparently, the irational part of my mind won.
He was acting strange. I haven't seen him like this since... No, stop this right now.
I dressed myself and went outside. He was waiting near the lake. I approached slowly and asked.
"Where are we going?"
He looked at me with amusement in his eyes. Wait, amusement?
"You'll see" he said starting to walk toward the stables. I follwed him without saying anything else.
There was a calming atmosphere. The horses were beautiful and some of them even playful.
"Pick any horse you like" he said watching me observantly.
I stared at the horses. It wasn't a big deal. Just pick a horse.
I wanted to take a random one but then one of them caught my eye.
A black huge horse was standing in the corner of the stable. I went closer to it. Some of his hair was white and his eyes were full of intelligence. I put my hand on his nose. He sneezed and shook his head.
I turned toward The Darkling.
"I'll take this one" I said.
He looked at the horse then at me with a half smile on his face.
I haven't resised anymore and asked "What?"
He came closer and pulled the horse out of his stall.
"That's my horse" he replied offering his hand to help me get up.
I looked at him for some moments. He is the enemy. What am I even doing here?
I took his hand hesitantly. His fingers were cold and soft.
"I can take another one..." I started.
"No." he said getting up on another horse. "You can ride it if you want."
The Darkling went forward and I followed him.

We rode through the forest until he stopped at a clearing. There was such a beautiful lake that I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The turquoise color of the lake was shining so bright like it was made of stardust. I approached slowly and sat down. I ran my fingers through the water. It felt different, more soft and a little hotter than the normal water.
"It's beautiful, isn't it?" The Darkling asked from behind.
"Yes" I barely said. I looked up. Near the lake were trees with their leaves shining like glass.
"What is this place?" I asked with an amazed voice.
"I don't know exactly" he said sitting down next to me. "I found it in one of my trips. But I heard some legends. Some people say that if you drink from the water you could taste the stars." He was now looking at me. "They are just stories. But you could give it a shot."
I cupped my hands and took some water. He was right. It really tasted like stars. I closed my eyes and saw the most beautiful nightsky I could ever see.
I looked at him and he started to laugh. Oh, god, his laugh. I stared at him for a moment incapable to do anything else. Then reality returned in my head.
"What's so funny?" I asked cold.
He looked at me a little confused but still amused.
"You looked like a child who tasted for the first time a candy" he said.
"Well" I started challenging him "you should taste it too."
An emotion flashed through his eyes but I couldn't recognize it.
"No" he replied avoiding my gaze
"Why not?" I continued.
"Forget about it, Alina." He stood up. "We should go."
I remaind on the grass.
"I think you are not telling me the whole legend." I said before I could think.
He turned to look at me. After some time he sighed edgy and sat down again.
"You're right" he said cold. "You can taste the stars in this water only if your soul is good intended. Otherwise, you die."
"Oh" I paused with my cheeks redder than normal.
He took a fallen leaf from the ground and gave it to me. I stared at the shining leaf then I put it in my pocket.
"Let's go" he said once more.
This time I followed him.

***

We were riding through the forest in silence. It was already night and I couldn't see more, but I felt like something wasn't right. The forest was quiet, too quiet.
I looked around too late before an arrow hit me in the shoulder. I fell off the horse and put my hand on my shoulder. Blood. Only grisha steel could have done that.
"Alina!" The Darkling shouted.
My eyelids were heavy but I still managed to saw him surrounded by nichevo'ya.
Someone was walking toward me. I tried to raise my hands for the cut but my arm hurt. That person came closer and I blinded him with my light before I knocked him down.
Two persons caught me from behind. I tried to escape but I couldn't. One of them hit me where the arrow was standing and I screamed in pain. I didn't wanted to burn them but I had no onther option. I sent a lightning to them and they started to burn fast.
I looked in front of me. Everywhere around were dead people. I recognise them. Fjerdans.
My vision was blurry. I saw The Darkling came closer. He took me in his arms.
"I've got you" he said but I could barely hear him. "Just hold on, Alina."
His grey eyes were the last thing I saw before I fell into the darkness

Here you go! The next chapter comes tomorrow.
I really, really wanted to thank you for reading this. It means so much. I saw the views were growing and I had to say it.
I'm thinking about adding a playlist for each chapter. What do you think? Let me know in the comments.

That's all for today,
Annie