CHAPTER TWO

Gerard Way had few regrets in his life. He was a 'the-past-is-in-the-past' kind of person and he didn't want to have regrets. That didn't mean he didn't regret things. He regretted leaving his brother home alone that faithful night that would change everything. He regretted cheating on his ex-fiancee Eliza. He regretted dropping out of art school, though he loved his career as an investigator. He had a new regret to add to that list, though: deciding that an ex-criminal would be the best help on this case. From the moment Lindsey Ballato stepped out of the prison in her classic attire and a bright-red lipstick smirk on her face, he knew she was going to be trouble. And oh boy, she was trouble.

"Ugh, your car is so uncomfortable," she groaned, stretching across his back seat and kicking him in the head.
"Shut up, I'm trying to drive."
"How about we pull over so I can walk around? Take off these cuffs and let me feel the grass underneath my toes?"
"How about a no?"
"Ugh, you're no fun, Way."

Gerard rolled his eyes, focusing on the road ahead. It was three AM and he did not want to be dealing with Lindsey's bullshit at that moment. He was going to have to deal with her bullshit for a while, though.

"At least turn on some music."
"Fine," he complied, turning on the CD player. David Bowie started blaring out the speakers. 
"This is better than nothing. I still want to get out."

Gerard let out a loud sigh and pulled over to the side of the road. He gripped tightly onto the wheel, his knuckles white, to resist the urge to turn around and smack Lindsey upside the head.

"Will you shut the fuck up?" he calmly asked, "We've been driving for twenty minutes and all you've done is just complain and ramble. Shut the fuck up."
"My, my, Way-boy can curse."
"Sit. Down."
"Make me," she snarled, standing up and leaning over the seat to glare Gerard in the eyes. She gave him a smirk, then kissed him on the lips. With a loud 'pop', Lindsey was back on her side of the seat, stunned at the stinging in her cheek.
"Hands off. I will turn this car around and take you right back to prison."
"You slapped me!"
"And I will again if you don't straighten up your behaviour. Sit down and buckle up."

Lindsey crossed her arms and pouted in the backseat. Her cheek stung and was a bright red.

"You slapped me."
"You kissed me," Gerard replied nonchalantly, pulling the car back onto the road.
"That doesn't give you the right to slap me."
"Yes, it does. And you had no right to kiss me."
"I hate you," she grumbled, reminiscent of a two-year-old,  "I'd rather be back in prison."
"I can arrange that."

Lindsey went quiet, letting the sound of Bowie fill the silence. Gerard hummed along as they continued the drive.

"It hurts."
"Well, no shit," he snapped, "Don't act up again."

She stared out the window, rubbing her cheek. Her chains clinked.

"Where are we going?"
"The police station."
"At 3 AM?"
"I'm checking you in."
"Oh."

Silence, except for the radio, filled the car again. Lindsey hated it. She thought this was going to be her chance at freedom. She thought this would be fun. But her she was, in the back seat of a Mini Cooper, fearing that her face would be bruised. She had dealt with abuse before, but this was different. Those were drug-abusing men, it was to be expected. This was supposed to be a man working for the people. Plus, usually, she'd have some sort of control over people. She could flirt her way into control. She had finally found someone she couldn't sweet talk into obeying her. And she was scared.

"I want to go home," Lindsey whimpered.
"You have no home."
"But-"
"You're a criminal. You have no home."

She sunk into the seat, letting the words sink in. No home. No home. No home.

"We're here."

Gerard got out of the car and opened the back car door, letting Lindsey out. She kept her head down and her arms wrapped around her body.

"Come on, we don't have all night."

He grabbed her chain roughly, yanking her forward. She stumbled as he dragged her behind him into the police building.

"Gerard, I want to go home."
"Didn't you hear me the first time?" he growled as they went up the steps, "You have no home."
"Yes, I do."
"No, you fucking don't."
"But I do! In Manhattan! 361-"
"Shut up!"

Gerard turned around and backhanded her across the face. She let out a cry, raising her hands to cover her eye.

"Quit talking. You are to be silent unless spoken to. And if you are, you get to the point. Got it?"
"Yes..."
"Yes, what?"
"Yes, sir."

Lindsey hid her face in her hands for a moment, before Gerard yanked her chain again.

"We're going into the building. I want you to sit in the chairs while I fill out the paperwork. I don't want you to move from the spot."
"Yes, sir."

Gerard dragged her into the lobby, pushing her towards a chair. He looked over at the receptionist.

"Make sure she doesn't leave that spot."
"Yes, Mr Way."

He nodded, running his fingers through his hair and mumbling about needed a cigarette. Gerard stuck his hands in his pocket, slouching and trudging off to his office. Lindsey slowly looked up at the receptionist. She was young and seemed interested in her work. The receptionist looked up at Lindsey, giving her a strange look.

"Are you Miss Ballato?"
"Y-Yes, ma'am."
"Don't need to call me ma'am, miss," she answered, giving her a small smile, "I'm Melanie. I'm the new receptionist. If you don't mind me asking, what happened? Do you need some ice?"
"I-I-It was nothing."
"You can tell me if you want. I won't tell anyone. C'mon, let's get you some ice."

Melanie came around from her desk, carefully adjusting the 'M. Martinez' sign on it. She held out her hand to Lindsey, pulling her to her feet. She guided her behind the desk to a back room, which appeared to be a break room. Melanie carefully made her way to the fridge and freezer, pulling out a bag of ice and half of a veggie sub, handing them to Lindsey.

"Here. Ice for your cheek and eye and some food."
"You don't have to give me this."
"It's the least I can do. I don't want you to bruise."
"Thanks."
"Don't worry about it."

Melanie and Lindsey went back out the lobby, Lindsey taking a seat in one of the chairs. Melanie gestured to the seat next to her.

"Mind if I sit?"
"Sure. I haven't talked to another girl in years."

Melanie's eyes widened as she sat down.

"Really? What was it like?"
"To be honest? Terrifying. I had to put on a whole charade of being tough and angry to protect myself. It was horrible. And I was in solitary confinement. I had no social interactions besides my guards. And I didn't see another female while I was there. It was the worst time of my life, but it's worse because I have to fake it."
"I'm so sorry, Lindsey," Melanie sighed, "That must be hard."
"It is. And I can never talk to anyone about it. I'm tired of being confident and cocky. I just want out."

Melanie nodded, twitching when she saw Gerard come back. She jumped to her feet.

"Mr Way, sir!"
"Don't worry about it Melanie. It's taken care of. Thanks for watching over Lindsey."

Melanie gave a small smile, looking over to Lindsey and waving. She went back to behind her desk. Gerard looked over to Lindsey, looking her over.

"Where did you get that?"
"I gave it to her, sir," Melanie piped up from her desk, "Ice for the bruise and a sandwich to munch."
"Oh."

Gerard took a deep breath in and rubbed his eyes.

"Come on, Lindsey," he yawned after a moment, "Let's just go."
"Yes, sir."

Gerard started heading towards the door, Lindsey filing after him. She glanced back to Melanie, who mouthed a message to her.

"Good luck, Lindsey. Be safe."