CHAPTER EIGHT

She never had the chance to truly live out her rebellious teenage phase. She had been just 16 when she got nabbed. She hadn't gotten her license. She hadn't graduated. She hadn't lost her virginity yet. She had stolen her fair share and had made her share of off-the-wall fashion mistakes, but she hadn't lived.

She felt like this was an attempt to make up for it. Running through the aisles of a run-down gas station and grabbing everything her arms could carry and then some. Dumping them on the counter, to the dismay of the cashier, and laughing outlaid when Gerard dumped his own stash on the counter. Buying cigarettes and beer and dumping the treasure in the backseat of Gerard's car. Barreling down backstreets, blaring Bowie. Landing in some abandoned park and swinging on the rusty swings, smoking Marlboro's and eating candy. This was a whole new experience and she was loving every second of it.

And here they were, strutting down some back alley to get to Lola's. Lindsey's nerves were over the edge. She hadn't been in here in three years. Everyone knew her face and knew her name. She wasn't ready. Even with Gerard with her, she was terrified. But she hid that all behind a mask of confidence and anger, like the queen she used to be.

"Don't leave my side. They'll kill you if they know who you are. Stick with me. Don't stray from the path. If anyone asks your name, don't give them your real name. Just play along."
"Got it," he nodded.

Lindsey took a deep breath, regaining her composure. The doors to Lola's swung open and silence overcame the patrons as she swaggered in, cocky as usual. The bartender met her eye and slowly reached under the counter.

"Don't even think about it, Righ. I am the last person whose blood you'd want on your hands."
"Well, well, Lyn-Z. Wouldn't think you'd be stepping foot in here again. How's life being used by the police? Has the life of glory won you over?"
"Oh shut up. Like I would ever. You know exactly why I'm here, Steve."

The bartender watched her motions as she took a seat at the bar. Lindsey raised an eyebrow at him.

"You know, I'd be showing a little respect if I were you."
"Why would I? After the newspaper went crazy reporting about your little 'stunt', Jimmy made it pretty damn clear that you're not welcome."
"Jimmy's in prison. Quit talking horseshit."
"Well, looks like you've missed the last three years. Oh, wait, no wonder. Everyone knows Jimmy got out after you were locked up."
"Huh," she replied, tapping her fingernails on the wood.
"You didn't hear?"
"Does it look I heard, Steve? No, no I fucking didn't. Where is he?"
"Not here. And not anywhere you'd be able to get to."
"Don't talk to me like that," Lindsey spat, "I'm higher ranking than you."
"Were. You were. Now, you're not even a citizen. You're nothing."
"Where's Jimmy? I demand to talk to him."
"That's not happening. You had your shot and you fucked it up. Don't think you can just swing back in here like nobody's business. Let me make it clear. You're not wanted here. Not after what happened. I can promise you, Jimmy is not going to be happy when he hears you had the balls to show up here. So, I'm going to tell you once and I won't tell you again. You can stand up and leave now, or you can pay up. That easy that simple."
"How about this, option, Steve? Fuck you."
"Alright. Don't tell me I didn't warn you. Security."

Lindsey stood up quickly as she watched the goonies rise from the other side of the bar. She grabbed at Gerard, yanking her hand away when she realized what she grabbed. She felt Gerard take her hand in his as the two goonies "escorted" them to a back room. They shoved her behind the counter, trying to break her away from Gerard. Instead, she glared at them.

"He sticks with me."
"You're not bringing your little boy-toy with you."
"Suck my left tit, he's coming with me."

They yanked at Gerard, trying to pull him away from her. He kicked at the goony, slamming his boot into his crotch. He was dropped quickly and he pushed forward, wrapping his arms around Lindsey and holding her tight. The door opened in front of them and they were shoved towards it.