CHAPTER THREE

Lindsey huffed, her head prompted up in her hands. The case file was thrown out on the table in front of her, while Gerard paced across the dining room, back and forth.

"I just don't get the connection between them. This is crazy. Lindsey read back the information."
"First murder was on the morning of April 13th, estimated time to be around 1 AM. The suspect broke into the victim's apartment. The victim was twenty-one-year-old Ashley Nicolette Frangipane. She was found dismembered limb by limb and strung up from the ceiling, with the words 'You can't stop me' written across the ceiling in her blood. The suspect left no trace of evidence to be traced back to him. Second murder was on the morning of May 13th, estimated time to be around 2 AM. The suspect once again broke into the victim's apartment. The victim was thirty-nine-year-old Raymond Toro. He was found drowned in his kitchen sink, with the words 'it's a cruel joke' carved into his back. Once again, the suspect left no trace of evident to be traced back to him. Third murder was on June 13th, estimated time to be around 3 AM. Once again, the suspect broke into the victim's apartment. The victim, twenty-one-year-old Troye Sivan Mellet, was found split open from the top of the next down to the bottom of the abdomen and completely gutted. He was strung from the ceiling like a marionette and his internal organs were used to spell out the words 'i'm back' on the floor. Fourth murder and five murder were performed on July 13th. The suspect broke in the victims' flat and murdered the two around 4 AM. The victims, twenty-seven-year-old Tyler Robert Joseph and twenty-eight-year-old Joshua William Dun, were found burnt and hung up by nooses from the ceiling. Their flat had been lit on fire, and the words 'I'm after you' were carved into the wall."
"Thank you, Lindsey," he replied, taking a drag of his cigarette, "so what we have here is someone who feels self-entitled and thinks they can get away with this."
"Or someone who's just bored and feels like playing a joke on the police force because you guys suck."
"Shut up or I will burn you with my Menthol."
"Passive aggressive," she snarled, "Either way, today's August 13th. It's 5 AM. Common sense would tell you that there is a murder going on now and we'll be getting a call soon."

Right on cue, Gerard's phone began to ring. He pulled it out of his pocket, tapping the screen and putting it up to his ear.

"Hello...This is him...Alright, give me the address...Alright, got it, heading out now."

He ended the call and stuck the device back in his pocket, looking over to Lindsey.

"Come on, we have a case."
"Oooh, a case! Will I finally get to see a dead body in person?!"
"Don't act like you haven't seen one before; I know what your line of work is."
"Don't act like you know everything about me and assume things," she mocked, "I've never dealt with murder or the death of a person. Therefore, no, I haven't seen a dead body in person."
"What the fuck ever. We're going."

Gerard grabbed his coat off the chair and draped it over his shoulder, throwing his cigarette in the ashtray on the table. Lindsey stood up, knocking her chair over, and scrambled towards the door like an over-excited dog. Gerard rolled his eyes at her behaviour and ambled over to the front door, opening it for the both of them. Lindsey darted out to the hallway, where she was grabbed by Gerard. He yanked her back, watching her stumble and falter.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?"
"Downstairs. To the car."
"Not without me, you aren't."
"I can go by myself."
"No, you can't."

Lindsey snapped back her hands as he reached out to snatch her chain. A loud 'pop' echoed through the hall as Gerard slapped her.

"Don't do that again," he muttered, giving her a deadly glare. Lindsey gulped as he took a tight grip on her handcuffs, harshly pulling them. She let out a cry that was met with another glare. The two began their walk downstairs to the parking garage, Lindsey mentally cursing Gerard's name. She was growing to utterly despise that man.