1| Welcome to Mystic Falls

|DISCLAIMER|

I do not own any rights to The Vampire Diaries, including storyline and characters. I only own the characters and storyline  that I have created.

|UNEDITED|

1| WELCOME TO MYSTIC FALLS

ENA'S POV

I had been known for having a good eye and memory for even the smallest details in life ever since someone told me that in the end, it's the little things that count. So, you could imagine how frustrating it was for me when the worst 24 hours of my life was also the one space of time in which I did not quite remember. Some moments were hazy, as if my mind was consciously protecting me from the truth of those memories, and the fact that my mind was trying to shield me was the most frightening part of all. I wanted to remember every detail; every horrible, terrifying and heartbreaking moment.

Why? So, I could spend the rest of my life wondering if there was a way things could have turned out differently. Morbid, I know; but that was just how my mind worked. Always dwelling on the what if's rather then accepting and coming to terms with reality.

Most of that fateful day was a blur yet there were moments which I could recall and relive as if they were only just happening for the first time. Moments which where crystal clear and seared on to my memory forever.

The look in my fathers eyes was one such moment that I could recall in vivid detail. It was also the only detail in which I longed to repress; yet no matter how hard I tried, I always failed. Perhaps it was a good thing that I could not forget it as in that one instant when his eyes connected with mine, through the rear view mirror, they conveyed all the unspoken words which he wouldn't have the time to say. Because unfortunately, time had not been on our side.

It's okay, his eyes had silently whispered, I am not afraid to die. I'm so sorry, I love you...don't be afraid. Please forgive me.

Forgiving someone had never come easy for me; if you broke a persons trust then why should you be forgiven. Admittedly, I did sometime take it too far; like the time I didn't speak to my sister for weeks after she snuck into my room and stole my favourite dress to wear to a school dance. She had known full well that I had planned on wearing it but had taken it regardless. Her defence was that she believed that it had look better on her. A reasonable excuse if it weren't for the fact that we were twins and identical down to the smallest detail; on the outside at least.

I gave my father a small, sad, smile in return and nodded my head. He had not done anything wrong and therefore there was nothing to forgive. If this truly was to be the end, as least we were together.

I also remembered witnessing the moment when my mother had clutched my fathers hand in hers. She had entwined her fingers with his, wishing to never be parted from him. It had been such a simple gesture yet one so full of love; they had held hands countless times before but in that romantically tragic moment they knew it would be their last. If true love was real, they had found it.

I had been sitting in the back of the car next to my sister, Elena, while our parents, Grayson and Miranda, had been in the front. We had been stupid, Elena and I. We had blown off family night to go to some stupid party held out in the middle of nowhere. At the time, all we had cared about was the free alcohol and trying to catch the eye of a cute guy; at least I was as Elena already had a boyfriend. Still, she had far to much to drink and shamelessly flirted with any guy who would listen to her drunken ramblings.

I had spent a good part of the night flirting with a guy who could have only been described as gorgeous. He had seemed to enjoy listening to me in my inebriated state as he had stared at me with a smirk permanently fixed upon his tempting lips. I don't even recall his name...I'm not even sure he told me what it was. But what I did know was that after everything, I never though of him again.