2|Hello Sister

|UNEDITED|

2| HELLO SISTER

ELENA'S POV

Dear Diary,

Today will be different. It has to be.

I will no longer be the sad little girl who lost her parents and I will no longer take anyone's pity about how my big sister left without a word.

I will start fresh, be someone new. It's the only way I'll make it through. I have a plan. I will smile and It will be believable. Genuine. My smile will say, 'I'm fine, thank you.' 'Yes, I feel much better.' 'Time heals everything.' They will see that Elena is alive and well. And if I can convince them, then maybe, just maybe, I can believe it myself.

Looking at the photos around my mirror as I fixed my hair, I smiled. It didn't reach my eyes, but these day my smile never did.

'Well, this is as good as it's gonna get,' I sighed.

Walking down the stairs and into the kitchen, I found Jenna fussing over every little thing, her caramel blonde hair was tied up in a messy bun as she rushed around the kitchen, trying to do a dozen things at once.

'Toast. I can make toast.' She said to me as I walked in.

'It's all about the coffee, Aunt Jenna.' I said pouring a cup for myself from the pot.

'Is there coffee?' Jeremy asked making a rare appearance this early in the morning.

He looked slightly spaced out and there were traces of black enamel on his nails. He looked a mess but instead of commenting on it, I just let him go. He walked towards the coffee pot but instead of pouring himself one, Jeremy decided just to steal mine.

'It's your first day of school and I'm totally unprepared.' Jenna sighed grabbing some money from her wallet, 'Lunch money?'

I declined so Jeremy took both his and mine.

'Anything else? A no. 2 pencil?' She joked.

You had to hand it to Jenna

You had to hand it to Jenna. Not everyone would have accepted becoming the guardian of their sisters children but she was doing her best.

'Don't you have a big presentation today?' I asked, pouring myself a new coffee.

'I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at..,' Jenna looked down at her watch, her eyes going wide, 'Now. Crap!'

I gave Jenna a reassuring smile, 'Go, we got this.'

Jenna smiled in thanks and untied her hair, her curls bouncing around her face. Once she was out of sight I turned to Jeremy.

'You good?' I asked,

'Don't start,' he groaned and turned to leave but stopped as we heard Jenna squeal from the front door.

'Ahh, come in. Come in!' I faintly heard her say excitedly. Wondering what was going on I enter the corridor to find Jenna with her arms around a familiar person.