10| Back to the Beginning

|UNEDITED|

10| BACK TO THE BEGINNING

ENA'S POV

Stefan didn't move. He didn't sit down. He barely blinked and he just stood there staring at me. If I listened hard enough I could hear the slow beating of his heart. His heart would beat once and then there would be a long drawn out pause before the next beat thumped in his undead chest.

Thinking over the events, since having meet Stefan, I really didn't know how I hadn't recognised it sooner. I should have noticed it, but it had never occurred to me that there could have been other vampires in Mystic Falls.

Stefan blinked and ran his hand over his face and hair.

'I don't think you really know what you're asking.' He said.

'I'm asking for the truth, Stefan,' I said calmly, 'You said that it was Damon who attacked Vicki and yet he seemed very...nice.'

I smirked at the use of the word nice. I knew full well that nice was not a word which someone would usually associate a vampire with, but I didn't know stefan well enough to tell him that what I really meant was I found Damon to be ridiculously attractive.

Stefan gave out a humourless laugh, 'Believe me, Damon is anything but nice.'

'Well, he is a vampire. We vampires are not known for being nice.' I smirked.

'I want to be nice. I long to be nice.' Stefan said, his frustration and anger from his brothers sudden arrival seems to be affecting him with every passing moment, 'I never wanted this life!'

I was taken back by his words, 'You never wanted to be a vampire?'

'No,' he whispered, shaking his head in sadness, 'I was tricked and fooled by a pretty face.'

Stefan finally moved closer before taking a seat beside me on the small couch.

'If you want to know everything...I'll tell you. I'll take you right back to the beginning but it will take time.'

I grinned, 'Stefan, time is not an issue for us.'

Stefan gave me a small smile in return.

'So, the beginning...' I said, prompting Stefan.

'The beginning is a simple one,' he said, 'I was born on the 1st of November, 1846, on a large estate not far from here.'

'1846?' I gasped, 'how old are you exactly?'

'I became a vampire in 1864 and I have been seventeen for a hundred and forty-five years,' He sighed.

I was shocked and unable to speak. Running my hand though my wavy hair, I looked at Stefan's youthful face. I wonder what it would be like to stare at the same, unchanging face, for over a hundred years.

'How did it happen?' I whispered.

'It was a woman; I thought I was in love with her...only after I turned did I learn that it was all a lie.'

'Katherine?' I asked.

Stefan looked up at me; his eyes wide, 'How do you know that name?'

'Damon mentioned a girl named Katherine; said she was your ex-girlfriend,' I explained.

Stefan simply nodded, 'Did Elena hear him speak of her?'

I remained silent, giving Stefan a simple nod of my head in reply.

I could tell by the look upon his face that Stefan wasn't pleased, but he kept his thoughts to himself.

'What was she like?' I asked softly, 'Surely she must have been very beautiful to have fooled you in to loving her.'