Chapter 4: That's an oxymoron// Party Invites

Aubree's P.O.V.

The bell for lunch rings, and I pack up my laptop, I was looking at college prep courses but I couldn't find anything mildly interesting, so I switched to sleep studies. I've been having such bad nightmares lately and I have been sucking in the sleep department. I walk into the lunch room and I don't see any of The Saints so I walk outside and see them by their bikes, but there's two new boys I don't know. "Hey guys" I look at Zander and smile. He's so nice and I'm happy he wants to be my friend. I just don't know how to act around any of them. I mean I've never had any friends before and I've made four in the first period.

"Hey Aubree, what are you up to?" Jay asks me, his hazel eyes half light up when he sees me and his dirty blond hair falls into his eyes again.

"Nothing was just at the library looking at college prep courses but nothing too interesting popped up, so I searched around about sleep studies. I mean like what your dreams mean it was pretty cool.." I notice everyone is staring at me and it kind of freaked me out a little, "sorry I'll shut up."

"No, don't shut up, I like listening to you." Zander blushes once he realized he had said that out loud, which makes me blush too and the guys smirk. "Anyway um about the practice quiz, you good to come over?"

"Uh, yeah sorry, I just need to talk to my mom and dad, let them know I'm not coming home right away, and I need to tell my brother not to wait up. Can you just give me a minute I'll call them right now." There were a bunch of yeah sure's and they go about talking among themselves, but I know they're still listening to me. Eavesdropping on my conversation, first I text my brother to tell him he doesn't need to drive me home. Then I call my mother and she picks up on the first ring with a hello sweetie how's school going blah blah blah pretending to care bull shit. "Yeah hi. I'm not coming home right after school. I'm going to a friend's house to do homework." The other end is silent. "Hello did you die?"

"You made friends, and you're going out, like to their house?" I roll my eyes and hum a quick yeah "Aubree, I think it is great you've made a friend, but don't you think it would be better if we meet them first? I mean I'm sure she's really nice but I'm just not comfortable with my 16 year old daughter off somewhere I don't know where she is.."

"Oh my god. This is a joke right? The first time I actually make friends ever and you're not okay with it. Your 16 year old daughter, who by the way isn't really your daughter by blood, your so called daughter who you weren't going to tell that she's fucking adopted has made quiet a few friends for the first time ever, about 4 so far probably more by the end of the night. They're all men by the way and they're a part of The Devils Saints. I'll see you later don't wait up." I hang up the phone and turn it off. I turn back around to the boys. "Well that was interesting. Okay so we're good I'll meet you here after school." The boys look at me and they look like they don't really want to say anything and I don't want them to bring it up either. I just want to crawl under a rock and stay there forever.

Zander breaks the ice. "You're only 16?" He doesn't look disappointed or upset, he looks genuinely curious.

"Yeah, I bumped up a few grades.. I even went to private school for a little bit just to only focus on school. " I look down at my shoes and I can feel my face getting hot. I'm so nervous I'm going to get picked on like I always have.

"Wow so you're like stupid smart." Says the boy about my age. I haven't met him yet but he is a part of the saints or I guess he wears the vest but it's missing the word member under his name, like everyone one else instead it just says brother.

"That's an oxymoron. Stupid smart.." Is the only thing that comes out of my mouth. Everyone just stops and looks at me and Zander smiles like he enjoys the fact that I'm smart.