10 || The Dark City

Spock awoke to the agonizing feeling of something crushing his chest, causing even the shallowest of breaths to be excruciatingly painful. He quickly became aware that he was not alone.

He could hear the familiar tread of someone else pacing back and forth across the floor as. Judging by the echoing of its steps, they were in a large room with a hard floor surface and a high ceiling. There was a faint droning whine of some sort of ancient piece of technological equipment in which Spock was not familiarized.

He was lying upon a hard surface, several stiff mats beneath him. Besides the aching pain, he was otherwise uninjured. There seemed to be no immediate threat around him. He opened his eyes, the blurry and distorted image of the tall, triangular designed ceiling slowly coming into focus. The cot was sitting against the  left side of the wall in the room. The roof was high and made of a material resembling that of wood. The walls were made of equally sized blocks which were a glossy russet color.

Ensign Elden stood across the room in front of large sepia tinted windows, biting his nails in a nervous gesture. He turned to Spock.

"Commander!" He cried in relief, rushing over to the first officer and kneeling beside the cot. "You're awake!"

"An obvious statement," Spock told him, speaking through gritted teeth.

"Glad to see you're alright sir," Elden commented, helping Spock sit up. Spock winced, holding his aching chest and struggling to breath normally. Spock was about to say something when a bout of dizziness came over him. He stared at the floor, waiting for it to pass.

"The alien back there hit you with some sort of primitive stunner," Elden explained.

"It is unwise to call the indigenous lifeforms 'alien'," Spock told him. "While we are upon this planet, we are currently the alien species."

Elden nodded. "Yes, sir. Sorry sir. But the uh...the indigenous lifeform tried to make a grab for me, but its weapon was still recharging. I tried to stun it with my phaser, but it didn't do anything. I suppose it didn't like it that much...ended up getting knocked over the head and shoved into the back of its vehicle. You were out like a light, I was almost scared you wouldn't ever wake up..."

Spock stared out the large rain streaked window, no longer listening to the ensign. He began to contemplate a possible escape plan.

"...and then I'd be stuck here on this planet alone," Elden continued, oblivious to the fact he was mostly talking to himself at this point. "You've been out since yesterday afternoon, sir. Which, judging by the length of days and even longer nights on this planet, you've been unconscious for—"

"Around twenty hours," Spock said, climbing unsteadily to his feet, holding his injured arm close to his aching chest. Elden rushed to help, but Spock merely brushed him off as he walked towards the large windows.

The sepia tinted glass was foggy, making it hard to clearly see the blurry shadows of towers rising into the sky. Heavy drops of rain water trailed down the surface. The window was made of a heavy material unfamiliar to the Vulcan.

"Where are we currently located?" Spock asked, studying the unfamiliar  world outside.

Elden shrugged. "I don't know, commander. I was tied up in the vehicle for most of the time. It wasn't until we were far into the city that it stopped. They let me out into this city street outside of this building. I only caught a glimpse before I was blindfolded and marched inside."

Spock set a hand on the window. The sepia glass rippled from where he had touched it, but otherwise remained in place. "Fascinating."

"Although I'm confused..." Elden continued.

Spock listened to him, but the majority of his attention was focused on examining the properties of the sepia glass.

"If we are the first Federation ship this far into uncharted space," Elden began, "then why did I see several federation species in the city street?"

Spock suddenly turned around to face Elden. "Recount every detail and be certain you leave nothing out," He said with the faintest hint of human emotion that could possibly be mistaken as urgency.