30 || To The Last Minute

Captain Kirk ran after Spock, following through the maze of gleaning white halls until they reached a lift. He stepped inside and pressed a button. Kirk dashed into the lift before the glass door slid shut. He was out of breath as he turned to his friend.

Spock said nothing as the lift shot upwards through the tower. Seconds later it shuddered to a stop. The lights flickered and the glowing orange screen began to flash.

The lift trembled again, this time on the verge of plummeting back down the narrow shaft. Spock shot at the door, the glass becoming a spiderweb of cracks.

Just as the glass shattered, the lift dropped. Spock tossed the weapon towards the empty door frame and the elevator came to a violent halt between floors.

Kirk tumbled out of the narrow lift and onto the hard floor. The weapon was unable to hold the weight of the lift for long and the its metal plating was beginning to twist and break. Spock dove onto the lower floor just as the weapon was crushed, sending the lift plunging back down the dark shaft.

Spock grimaced as he climbed to his hands and knees. Kirk leaned over and helped him to his feet.

"You alright?" Kirk asked just as guards blasted through the far door and began to flood into the room.

Spock and Kirk dashed away from each other, taking cover behind the marble pillars. The relentless energy blasts were tearing the stone apart.

Captain Kirk peered around the pillar, shooting at the guards. He managed to hit two, but they were severely outnumbered and Spock no longer had a weapon which he could use.

"Captain, I believe I have an idea of how to escape our current predicament," Spock informed the captain.

"That's great Spock," Kirk shouted back, shooting and then dodging an onslaught of fire. "Whatever it is, you had better do it fast!"

Spock peered over the corner of the pillar at the quickly growing army of guards. With unmatched speed, he sprinted towards the elevator shaft and jumped into the emptiness, grabbing the edge of the floor and swinging through the glass doors and into the level below.

His landing was not as graceful as he had anticipated. His injured leg had given out and he found himself slamming into the hard marble surface, shards of shattered glass falling around him.

He winced, wanting nothing more but to continue laying there. However, that was not an option. He had began staggering to his feet when the captain dropped down the empty elevator shaft, but was unable to swing far enough. He hung from the edge of the floor, barely clinging onto the sheer surface.

Spock rushed over to the edge and grabbed the captain's arm, helping pull him to safety. Kirk climbed to his feet, slapping his friend on the back. "Thanks."

"Do not mention it," Spock said, repeating a phrase had heard his friend so often use.

They made their way the rest of the way through the citadel, avoiding the hoards of guards as they went. As they came to the higher levels of the building, the halls became more massive, ornate pillars and rooms that spanned the length of the expansive building. Which unfortunately meant there were few places in which they could take cover.

Guards came to stop them, but there were fewer this time. Hiding behind the many pillars, moving quickly from cover to cover, they were able to outflank their opponents and quickly dispatch them.

From the numerous windows, it could be seen that the chaos in the city below seemed to have calmed.

Captain Kirk and Spock headed towards a large stairwell. Wide black steps that gleamed in the light filtered through the large sepia windows.