Chapter 1: How...unlocky?

"How do you start a book?" I mumbled to myself

If any of my classmates were able to hear me talking to myself like this, I'm pretty sure I'd be sent to the nearest mental hospital. Even my mom almost kicked me out of the house when I kept repeating the same question over and over again. Ever since I downloaded that wonderful app called Wattpad, my life started turning upside down. It was the perfect opportunity to make my dream of being a well-known author true, and I wasn't going to let it pass. That's because I, Bridgit Thompson, was ready to do whatever it takes to reach my goal.

So I started searching for any possible idea to write about, and after a very long time, I got it. But I realized that there was another major problem: starting the story. It's been a whole month, and all I'd done was think of that stupid question. I repeated it too much, that I once got confused and ordered a one how do you start a book instead of a latte.

Let's agree that I was never going to that café again.

Gnawing on the only pencil left with me, I started taking in my surroundings. Our teacher was absent, and our substitute said that we were free to do whatever we want, as long as there was no noise. They say looking around you can help you find inspiration, but with the depressing, grey walls of our school, it wasn't possible for me to find any.

The lights were flickering, making it seem like one of those scenes in almost every horror movie. It felt like I was already participating in one. Horror in High School (Four Years of Fright). That would make a good title. Out of boredom, I glanced at the people sitting close to me. Maybe this could help me write more realistic characters.

Our substitute, a tall woman with black curls was scribbling words into her notebook, stopping once or twice to take a sip of her coffee. Oh, how I wish that cup of coffee was in my hand. I was in desperate need of it.

"Ow!" I winced when a notebook flew right into the back of my head.

A pair of green eyes met mine, and Zach walked to my desk to pick up his notebook. "Whoops, that was totally an accident."

I wasn't intending to write about an evil villain, although I was starting to consider it because of him. The guy had the perfect personality for a wicked witch. He was even shorter than me, so maybe an evil dwarf.

"No problem at all, that was totally okay," I replied cheerfully. Two can play that game.

He was surprised to find out that I didn't snap at him as usual. I wasn't going to please him by showing that I was annoyed. Let's face it, there were two reasons why he was doing this. Either he had a crush on me, or he just liked annoying people for no reason at all—it was probably the latter. He's starred in some Wattpad books, maybe even a couple of Disney movies. I was able to tell from the way he talked. But he was neither a football quarterback, nor an evil wizard. He just had too much confidence and enjoyed ruining people's lives. Just like those people in books and movies.