Chapter 2: Panic! at the Library

"Open Sesame!" Matthew eyed the door, as if it was going to miraculously open.

Imbeciles. I was stuck with imbeciles.

"Matthew, what in the world are you doing?" Cassidy yelled at the idiot.

"I'm trying to open the door, duh."

I sighed and stared at the window. As if being hungry wasn't enough, my heart was beating as if the world's best drummer chose to perform inside of me. Although I wanted to look as calm as possible, I couldn't help biting my nails. I forced my hands to fall beside me, only to begin fiddling with them.

Cassidy walked to the door, deciding to help Jonah and Matthew. Maybe I could help a bit too.

"I have an idea, how about–"

"Cassidy, I'm sure you have a bobby pin," Jonah cut me off.

Well, that was some help.

I mentally scolded myself for taking off my bobby pin in the morning. You actually think they'll listen to you? Why are you talking to them anyway? I looked at the ground trying to ignore my thoughts. Why did I want them to talk to me? Wasn't I the one who didn't want to speak to them? I clenched my fists. This was pointless.

Cassidy's hand reached the back of her head, searching for the tiny, yet useful thing that could get us out of here.

"I'm sure I had it here this morning," she mumbled.

Jonah paced around the door, his hands in his pockets. Matthew stopped trying to lighten the mood and was now leaning on the door, waiting for Cassidy to find the bobby pin.

She shrugged. "It must've fallen somewhere."

Jonah hit the door with his fist in anger. "This is useless."

"As useless as Ms. Smith's brain. Did this woman forget we existed?" Matthew grabbed a chair to sit on, but fell on the ground when Cassidy pulled it towards her.

"Don't talk about things you don't have."

Cassidy slumped lazily on the chair, and Matthew rushed to pick another one. Weren't they worried at all? I noticed that Jonah was standing still, a bit like me, studying every single thing in the library. Well, at least one of us was trying to get us out of here.

"Why are you sitting like this? You should be helping me." Jonah clenched his fists and glared at them.

Them. Because clearly, I was Casper the friendly ghost. Or maybe a random statue.

Matthew put his hand on his chin, nodding in a fancy way. "You're right, I have a good idea."

Cassidy raised both her eyebrows. "Enlighten us."

Jonah widened his eyes. I guess I wasn't the only one surprised that Matthew knew the definition of serious. "And that is?"

He put two hands behind his neck, yawning. "We do nothing at all."

Jonah rolled his eyes. "Are you serious?"

"No, I'm Matthew."

"Matthew kind of has a point, we're all too tired to think of anything. Stop wasting your energy, Jacob," Cassidy pointed out.

Cassidy and her problem with names.

Jonah sighed, face palming. "My name is not Jacob, and I'm not tired. Do you have an idea how serious this is? There's a chance we won't be able to go home today."

As Cassidy and Jonah kept arguing, I spaced out. Jonah was right. I wanted to help, but no one was listening to me. Besides, they all forgot I existed.