Chapter 5: My Dream Is to Fly

Special thanks to moi for the fanart! These aren't my drawings, of course. I just found them on Weheartit and tried to make an anime cover. I also tried editing this again.

I decided to have my bag packed with the remainder of lunch and also my writing notebook...just in case we got locked in the library again. When I reached the library, I dropped my bag beside the four bags on the ground next to the door, placing my cellphone in the back pocket of my jeans.

"You're late, for a very important date!" Matthew sang, waving a small book in his hand before placing it on a bookshelf.

"You're stupid!" Cassidy imitated his singing tone. "Because for the millionth time, these books don't go here!"

Matthew and I cringed at her high-pitched voice, then Matthew and Cassidy began arguing again. The books that fell on me yesterday were still scattered on the ground, and a small puddle of water remained on the ground as a reminder of being locked in the library yesterday.

Jonah was moving his head to the beat that I was able to faintly hear from his new headphones, and Alex was putting the scattered books on the ground back to their places.

Aside from us, there were three students working quietly on their laptops. I didn't exactly recognize them, so they were clearly younger than us. I sighed, staring at all the work I had to do. As if her purpose in life was to make our lives worse, Ms. Smith kept going in and out of the library, with more books  for us to organize each time.

We all did the work in silence. Maybe because we were all fed up with Ms. Smith and ready to strangle her if we had the chance. Or maybe it was because we were having a hard time acting like Ms. Smith's glares were actually scary and didn't look like a cute, little puppy begging for a treat.

After what seemed like hours of work, I checked the time on my phone, only to have my eyes widen. Ten minutes. Only ten minutes had passed.

I still had fifty minutes until I was able to go home, ignore the loads of homework and writing I had to do, and sleep.

"The Dream," Cassidy read a title of a book in her hands in a fancy way. "Who would actually read a story with that title?"

That title wasn't exactly professional, I agreed with her on that.

"Maybe it's about someone getting trapped in their dream." Matthew thought for a moment before grinning. "A dream where it rains pizza. I'd like having that happen to me."

Mental note: write this idea in your drafts.

"Or maybe a dream where the zombie apocalypse takes place," Jonah added, taking off his headphones so they were circled around the back of his neck.

"I wouldn't like having that happen to me."

My mind raced to my own dream; the dream of being a famous writer. The same dream that I was making no effort to actually reach.

"I think it's about chasing your dreams," I suddenly blurted out.

"That's a good one." Cassidy bent down to place the book in a low shelf. "Is it stupid that my dream is—"

"To fly. Over the rainbow, so high!" Matthew sang, getting glares from the three students that were working on their laptops. Good thing that Ms. Smith was sitting too far away to notice and end his life. Well, not actually a good thing because I would've loved to see Matthew's life end in a non-heroic way.

Cassidy twirled her hair and a sigh escaped her full, rosy lips. "Now that you're done with your little show, let me continue. Is it stupid that reaching a hundred thousand subscribers on YouTube is my dream?"