You're a Girl, Caroline

"A worldwide epidemic has been spreading. Scientists are looking for a cure. So far no progress has been made."

My eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my skull. I still stared at the T.V, even when it shuts off after the infected get in to the studio.

Today was supposed to be a normal day. Valentines day. I was going to confess my feelings to Gerard today.

Now I'm surrounded by things. Disgusting, gross smelling things.

The T.V shoots on again. "A way to kill these things has been found." A new spokesperson shows up. "Aim for the head. The brain is where the disease focuses."

I cringe in fear. I have a baseball bat. I'm a 17 year old girl with no muscle.

I'm going to die.

The reason I'm not getting eaten is because I locked myself in the art room at school. This place used to be my home.

I look at all the spilled paints and the blood splatter on the chalkboard and it seems more like Hell.

My art teacher is roaming the halls somewhere. She was bitten. If you get bitten, you die. We all die. Then they come back.

I have no food and I have no idea how I am going to survive the new few days. I probably won't. I'll starve and die from thirst. Or take the risk and die from being eaten. The latter seems more excruciating.

My hands tremble. The police will find me. Of course they will.

Tears flowing down my eyes, I catch sigh of a man with brown hair approaching the school. I throw a stapler at the window and break it. He looks at me. I wave.

He nods at me. Somehow this reassured me.

I'm on the second floor. There's no way I could jump.

But still he opened his arms and told me to jump.

So I did.

I threw the bat down first. Then I breathed in. This was it. I jumped.

His strong, muscular arms caught me. I fell out right after of course, but the impact of that was not nearly as bad as a fall from 2 floors.

I stand up. "Thank you so much."

He nods. "No problem."

I grab my bad. "I'm Caroline." I reach out my hand to shake his. He shakes it firmly.

"I'm Jason."

1 Week Later

My ears rang with a faint buzzing sound as I slowly opened my eyes.

Ah. It's just the tv.

The tv in the hotel room was to keep survivors updated with the latest news on the outbreak. Jason said it wouldn't last for long. He was right.

I took a look at myself in the mirror. Same blood-stained clothes I had worn three days ago, when all of this...started. You can probably imagine the nostalgia.

Zombies- but don't call them zombies. They are not zombies. Something more wicked, demonic.

It's a disease. It effects everyone. It's like rabies, but starting with the humans.

But it's not human.

I peek out of the bathroom to see Jason standing up and changing clothes.

"You didn't tell me you had extras." I snapped.

Jason looked back at me and smiled. "You're a girl, Caroline."

I'd met Jason on the second day of the outbreak. He'd saved me when...when a THING tried to attack me.