Chapter 8: The Plan

"So you're telling me," my mom started, "that you were so sick that you had to leave school without telling anyone. And now you want to go to a friend's house? I don't think so, Casper." She finished, looking up from the book she was reading to give me a disapproving glare.

        "Mom," I groaned, standing in front of her in a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie, car keys in hand. "I was feeling sick, so I took the day to rest and now I feel better. Please let me go to my friend's house." Friend was a very strong word to use when it came to Xavier, and one I definitely did not agree with, but I really wanted to see how Xavier was feeling about our situation and in order to do that I needed to convince my mother.

        "Sorry, but it's a no." She shrugged. "You didn't go to the school nurse or ask me to call you out, you just left and I had to cover for your ass. So now you have to deal with the consequences of your own actions. Put the keys down, you're not going." She returned her attention to her book.

        I kept the keys in my hand. "Mom please," I begged, walking closer to where she was sitting and giving her a pleading look. "I really really need to go, it's important." Xavier was expecting me at his house in ten minutes and I hadn't even started the drive there yet.

        "Casper," she snapped, closing her book and slamming it on the side table, "it is almost ten o'clock and you ditched school today. I don't even know who this friend is and you're not willing to tell me. You're not going and that's final. Consider yourself lucky I'm not grounding you."

        She was right. I wasn't willing to tell her I was going to Xavier's house because I didn't want her to accidentally tell Sam. And I didn't want to tell her that I didn't want her to tell Sam because then she would start asking questions. I was lucky enough to have avoided Sam in the first place, because she had key club after school and immediately went over to spend the night at her friend Izzie's house afterwards.

        "Okay how about this," I bargained, "you can ground me and make me do all the chores around the house, but just let me go to my friend's house tonight." I stood up a little straighter, feeling proud of my tactic. No way could she pass up my offer, I was putting out all the cards I had.

        She gave me a look of disbelief. "Fine. You're grounded and doing all of the chores." She stated, leaning back in her chair. I let a smile take over my face as I gave a small jump of victory and started heading towards the door. "But you're still not going." She finished.

        "What!?" I spun around to face her in shock. "You can't do that!" I protested, my feet carrying me towards her once more.

        "Yes I can, I'm your mother. Now stop arguing and give me your car keys and go to your room," she snapped, tone final.

        Damn, I had pushed her too far and pissed her off. Scowling, I lightly tossed my keys on her lap and started my way up the stairs, not bothering to argue with her anymore. Once I had gotten to my room, my phone started to ring in my pocket. I looked down and sighed once I saw his name, swiping to answer the call.

        "Where the fuck are you?" Xavier said as soon as I picked up.

        "Well somebody's on their period," I grumbled, flopping down onto my bed.

        "Ha ha, very funny. Now seriously, where are you?"

        "Listen, my mom won't let me go."

        "What do you mean your mom won't let you go?" He huffed.

        "I mean what I fucking said, she won't let me leave the house," I snapped at him.