Chapter 30

"Emma I'm so damn frustrated. How did this happen to both of us? I'm hurt, and I know you were too."

"I know. It's bad we can't hook them up. Lily is extremely gay." Emma jokes, trying to make light of the situation. Regina laughs a bit but then she sighs, dropping to the floor in a very un-Regina like way.

"God, I'm mad at you and I don't have a reason to be." She groans. She has her fists bunched together, and her knees are up. Her head is rested on them and Emma's heart aches to go over there and comfort her.

Emma thinks about speaking, about trying to make Regina feel better when Regina's muffled voice comes to Emma.

"Maybe we should take a break." 

"Wait, what? No." Emma immediately refuses, and stands up. Regina raises her head, her fingers tangled in her brown locks. 

"We obviously need one. I mean, this is the second mess up on both our parts in what, two years, maybe three?"  Her eyes are filled with tears, and Emma sits back down on the bed in what she feels like is defeat. 

"So? We love each other, we don't need a break."

"Maybe I need a break." Regina whispers, and Emma's heart breaks.

"What does that mean? For me, for us..." She trails off, and then she decides on a fight tactic. "What about the kids?"

"I... I'll deal with Henry. It's better for him to be mad at me." Regina decides. 

"But I don't want him to be mad at either of us. He doesn't have to be." Emma proposes. 

"Emma, I'm sorry." Regina begins to sob, rocking back and forth on the floor. Emma rushes over to Regina, and holds her while she cries.

"Why are you helping me? I'm kicking you out of our house." Regina cries louder, and Emma shushes her, continuing to rock with Regina. After a few minutes, Regina stops crying, wiping her tears and then standing up. 

"I'm going to get you a room at the bed and breakfast. I don't know how long I want this to be, but in the meantime we'll juggle the kids, and I'll make sure Ava gets enough milk." Regina begins to ramble, and Emma watches in pain as Regina begins to pack Emma's clothes into a duffel bag. Once she's done, she turns and puts toiletries into it  as well before going downstairs. 

Emma follows blindly, not sure what else to do. Keys are pressed into her hand, and then she's in her car, driving to the motel. When she enters the lobby, Granny just gives her a sad look before steering her to her room. Once she's inside her room she drops the bag in the middle of the floor before collapsing onto the bed and crying herself to sleep.

~~~

Regina wakes up in her bed, and reaches out like she always does for Emma. To run a hand through blonde curls, touch a soft cheek. But she's not there. Like she hasn't been there for the past two weeks. She goes through her routine, and gets ready. At the breakfast table Henry eats without a word, shooting her a glare every time they make eye contact. He hasn't spoken to her since she explained to him what's happening. She knows that he blames her, and she knows that he's right. 

Regina watches Henry get on the bus and then she reaches for her phone with a sigh.

"Hello? Yes, this is Regina Mills. I'd like to make an appointment. You've got one in twenty minutes? I'll be there." 

~~~

"Good morning, Mayor Mills. Now, why are we here today?" Dr. Hopper asks, leaning back in his chair with a notebook on his knee.