Chapter 14

"Asano-kun?" I stared wide-eyed at my long-time friend whom I'd dreaded to see for the past few weeks due to my guilty conscience about lying to him about Karma. "What are you doing here?"

His eyebrows furrowed, his forehead creased and he wore the most vicious scowls that I had ever seen in my life; there was no doubt in the world that he was beyond furious and that I was in a heap-load of trouble.

"I should be asking you that," he said through gritted teeth as he stomped over to where Karma and I stood. My hands had clenched into tight fists at my sides and they were sweating like crazy. "You told me that you wouldn't go near Akabane and now I catch you two practically eating each other's faces? I demand an explanation, (L/ N)-san!"

I gulped as I stared at him, panic and fear had begun to consume me, leaving me at a loss for words. "I- I- Uh- I..." I stammered nervously. Just then I felt a hand on my shoulder and Karma's voice followed after. "It's good to see you too, Asano, and it's really nice to know that you're still as big of an asshole as you've always been."

"You shut up, Akabane, this has nothing to do with you!" Asano barked at him which made me flinch slightly.

"Actually, it does, considering the fact that I'm her boyfriend after all," Karma countered back and flashed a malicious smirk. "Or maybe it's because you don't know that..."

His words had only made Asano's rage grow and I wished for nothing more than to be swallowed by the ground below me and disappear from the face of the earth right then and there.

"No, I don't," Asano hissed. "Because your girlfriend," he said 'girlfriend' with such disgust that it made my stomach wrench. "Didn't bother to tell me anything about it."

"Asano-kun, listen, I'm sorry-" I started to apologize but he had cut me off before I could finish. "So that's why I'm going to be borrowing her for a while." He said and latched his hand onto my arm and dragged me away from Karma.

Realizing what was happening, Karma lurched for him but Asano had him falling backwards with a harsh shove against his chest. "Asano-kun, what are you doing?" I asked, wide-eyed and scared. But instead of giving me an answer, he pulled me away from Karma, the crowd, and soon enough, we had exited the festival along with its warm lantern glow and had entered the darkness of the night beyond.

Asano dragged me along with him as he ran and I could do nothing but let him. But when we'd reached so far until the festival was nothing more than a small yellow glow behind us, I decided that I had enough; I halted my tracks and gave a forceful tug of my arm, surprising Asano, which to my advantage, allowed me to free myself from his vise-like grip. "Stop!" I yelled at him with my chest heaving, breathless for air and my hair falling messily into my face; I probably looked like a savage but I didn't care, enough was enough! "I had enough of this, Asano-kun, I'm not a child, you can't tell me what I'm allowed and not allowed to do, you don't control my life!"

Asano just stared at me, his violet eyes wide as he was probably finding difficulty in registering my abrupt outburst.

"Look, I'm sorry that I lied to you about Karma-kun, I really am," I said, my gaze completely transfixed on him. "But you don't have the right to keep me away from him, best friend or not, I make my own decisions. And if you still think that he is a psychotic maniac even after I tell you truthfully from observation and research that he's not, then so be it, think what you want of him. But I'll stay by his side and defend him until my very last breath whether you like it or not."

By the time I'd finished speaking, Asano's head was casted down, his face entirely hidden by his strawberry blonde hair that looked deep orange under the dim lighting of the streetlamp above us. A few minutes had passed which neither of us spoke and I'd figured that he had decided to give me the cold shoulder so I started to turn on my heels. "I'm going back to Karma-kun, Asano-kun," I told him, not bothering to turn around. "Have a good night."

Just as I was about to walk away, his voice spoke out; it was only a little more than a whisper but I heard his words as clear as day. "Why him?"

My eyes widened and he didn't have to clarify himself for me to be able to comprehend what he was asking; why had I chosen to love Karma... but not him?

It wasn't just about Karma's violent reputation anymore, Asano was in love with me and I'd known that for as long as I could remember and he did too. So it was inevitable that he would get jealous at seeing me spending time with Karma, but seeing me belong to someone else, that was something else entirely, that was something that would break him completely; it must've hurt like hell for him to catch me and Karma kissing earlier and it only made the guilt that I felt for the past few weeks grow.

"Asano-kun..." I trailed off, turning around slowly to see that he was staring straight at me; his face remained impassive but his eyes... his eyes were filled with so much sorrow and pain, he was on the edge of tears and I felt my own well up at the sight. "I... I can't..."

"Hey, look what we have here," an unfamiliar voice spoke up abruptly from nearby, causing me to glance towards the source to see three males with smug smirks plastered on their malicious faces; they practically screamed 'trouble' and I felt my heart contract within my chest.

"It's just one of those annoying couples, Akito-san," the one with spiked-obvious-blue-dyed hair told the one with long black hair- Akito- who'd spoken earlier. "They probably snuck out of the festival to make out or something, we should just leave them."

"Hmm, they don't look like they were planning on making out," Akito smirked smugly at us and I felt panic rose within me. "It seems to me that the cute little girl planned on dumping her little boyfriend."

"Oh, you're right, Akito-san! He looks like he's going to cry!" the third of them, who was a blonde with multiple piercings, laughed as he moved closer towards us, his eyes completely focused on Asano's miserable state.

"And the girl is really pretty," the blue-hairedpmale said, his black eyes glinted with malice as they scanned me from head to toe; I felt my blood run cold in my veins. "Maybe we might have some use for her after all."

"Now, now, be a good little girl and come with us," Akito walked towards me at a leisurely pace with his hands tucked in his pockets, smirking at me and I could practically feel him undressing me with his red eyes. "We'll take real good care of you, we've been known to be quite skilled at pleasing women."

I scowled at his words in disgust and I was about to spit out a remark at him when Asano stepped in front of me, his arms outstretched, shielding me from the three males. "Asano-kun..." I trailed off surprised, staring wide-eyed at his back which was faced to me.

"You three so much as dare lay one dirty finger of yours on her, I'll be sure to make you suffer to the point where you'll beg me to end you." Asano hissed at them; his voice sounded firm but I couldn't see his face, and he was awfully good at hiding his pain.

The three males burst into paroxysms of laughter. "Those are some big words, pretty boy," Akito started, his blood-curdling smirk never fading. "But are you able to back them up?" he leaned forward, flashing razor-sharp teeth at Asano.

Within a blink of an eye, that smirk was wiped off from his face as Asano threw a fierce punch in his nose. Akito let out a howl of pain and his hand immediately flew to his nose which had begun bleeding. Akito's companions then lurched forward towards Asano without a moment's hesitation, seeking vengeance for their friend. Asano ran forward as well and ducked their punches and kicks with a swiftness that could only be comparable to Karma's. He latched his hands on the blonde's arm and forcefully twisted it, making the blonde cry out in agony before flipping him onto the ground. The blonde hit the ground with a loud 'thump' which made me flinch.

When I looked back up, my eyes grew in panic as I saw the spiked –haired-male headed for Asano's unguarded back. "Asano-kun, watch out!" I cried aloud before I even realized that I had done so.

Asano snapped his head back and he instantly dropped the blonde's arm like it was garbage. He was lucky enough to duck the spiked-haired-male's attack in time but before he could stand up, Akito threw a sudden punch in his jaw. The impact of the punch thrown Asano off his feet and Akito targeted several harsh kicks at his stomach after he'd tumbled to the ground.

I wanted to race forward to stop Akito, to pull him back, to do anything to save Asano, but two arms had grabbed ahold of my own arms before I could even get within a feet of them. My eyes widened and I looked to my sides to find Akito's companions grinning at me malevolently. I screamed out Asano's name again and again, I even went so far as to beg Akito to stop hurting him but he wouldn't stop, not until Asano was knocked out cold.

Akito smirked down at his work before stalking his way over to us and the tears that had been welling in my eyes nearly fell as he leaned down and whispered into my ear in that disgusting voice of his that suggested of the unspeakable, "You're all ours now, my little toy, and I can't wait to break you."